Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

duramax

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by one ton burb, Oct 18, 2005.

1. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have just a few quick questions, you see I mit be getting my hands on a 2005 2500hd duramax preaty cheap because the body is screwed and it is on it's third front end, my plan is to put the duramax in my 1984 suburban with the allison 1000 tranny, problem is i need to know if there is any way of mounting either my np205 from my sm465 muncie to it or if i could mount my np203 from my th400?, or would it be better for me to just get rid of my chevy dana 60 front end and run a ford dana 60 high pinnion and keep the stock transfercase that is mounted to the allison? and my last question anyone know what tcase comes stock on the 2500hd?
    Thanks

Tom.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

should be a np 261 or a np263. the 1 is a manual shift and the 3 is an electric shift.

i would imagine that it would have a 32 spline input, so a 241 from behind a 4l80 or a 400 would fit. but not very sure about that.

aside from the fact that the 261/263 are slip yokes, are fairly stout t-cases. rated for more gvw than a 205 and more input torque.

ryan

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I do not know much about the allison 1000 but you might be able to treat it like a 4500 in that if the output shaft is 32 spline and the proper diameter you could re-drill the face of the NP-203 and bolt the case directly to the tranny output. I was told with the NV4500 there is no need for an adapter to mount the np203 just drill the case and bolt it on and plug the existing holes to prevent oil leaks. If the shaft is the proper length on the Allison I dont see any reason why it would not work. But then again I have no actual experience just my .02.

Ira

4. one ton burb

I just found out that it is a electric shift so I guess it must be a np263 and if it is stronger then a np205 maybe i should just switch to a ford dana 60 instead of running my chevy dana 60, seeing how the np263 has a drivers side drop not a passager side drop on the front output shaft. Now about the slip yoke is there a slip yoke elimintor kit for the np 263?

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

actually now that i think about it, it has a slip yoke on the front driveshaft too. the rear slip is actually built into the rear case, so no luck there either.

another option may be the nv271/273 from a furd. are even stronger than a 261/263 and have bolt on yokes front and rear. maybe the same spline count but not sure.

ryan

6. one ton burb

hmm so it looks like if i'm to run a np263 I would need to get some crazy shafts made up to even have a chance, now about this furd nv271/273 I have herd about them before but i think i recall them not fitting inbettween our old chevy truck frame rails and I wounder if it would bolt up to the allison with minial mods? now I'm starting to think about just running my np203 on it with my chevy dana 60 front end and some day either get a np 205 from a th400 or just double my 203 with the ord kit

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

yeah, wouldnt fit between the frame rails on the ult. k10 petersons built.

i think extreme4x4 tv show is fitting a doubler to an allison, so maybe ORD knows how to do it.

ryan

8. dunehopper502

dunehopper502 Registered Member

Ford High 60

ID GO WITH THE FORD HIGH PINION AND USE THE STOCK TRANSFER CASE
    WITH THE ALLISON.THIS IS AN EXTREMLY STRONG UNIT WHICH ACTUALLY IS THE SAME THEY USE IN THE H1'S.WHICH IN TURN YOU CAN SELL ME YOUR GM DANA 60 TO HELP COST FOR THE FORD 60 :laugh: MY FRIEND HAS A FORD DANA 60 HE MIGHT BE WILLINGLY TO GET OFF OF IT I CAN FIND OUT FOR YOU IF YOU WANT....

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Your caps lock is on......

The stock T-case should work for you. What exactly do you do with this truck, anyway? Tow rig only?

10. one ton burb

I do a lot of things with it mostly in town and hiway lately tho to busy to go off roading, but I also like to tow with it as well, but thanks for all the info guys was a great help bad news is it did not work out for me that great price is no longer that great so looks like I'm going back to looking at big blocks for now.

Tom

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Id reccomend putting the whole drivetrain from the truck in your blazer and a HP 60. OR put your body ontop of the Dmax frame and all, and do a SAS to it.