Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vince13, Aug 30, 2003.

1. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

Has anybody put a new duramax in an old chevy yet or anyone in the process of it. thinkin about it for my 73 blazer. can get a write off 2002 4x4 duramax for 10 grand and thought it would be pretty cool to put in.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They wont fit in the older trucks without serious modifications. The duramax's are simply a huge engine. If you feel like taking on a large project I say go ahead and do it if you have the time, patience, knowledge and money to do it. They are also a very finicky engine that has A LOT of expensive parts on them. I would also look into gettin a wiring Diagram for that truck so you can get an idea of how much wiring it would take to fit in your blazer.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I think it would be a PIA to make it fit and even harder to make it work, but if you got the whole truck it would be easier. Is it a mannual transmission or automatic (allison)? The manual would be an easier swap than the auto because there would be less electronics/ computer stuff to deal with. Depending on which tranny you would have to run a body lift, and possible reshape the fire wall. There are afew people that have or are in the process of putting them in the 88 and up body styles and i just saw a short write up of someone that put one in a 2002 suburban. Given the cost of the truck and the time involved, if it were me i would probally go with a cummins 6bt in which case you could a)have the engine and install done for under 10k, buy the engine and install it yourself for under 10k and save the extra c) do the install yourself and buy lots of other things for your truck. Until i see otherwise the cummins is a better more reliable engine than the dmax and create more power. Either way it would be a cool project that would have some serious wow factor.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the Cummins is a better engine anyway. I'd attempt to go that route. The Duramax is alright, but the Cummins is proven, comes in just about anything, and is probably easier to fit.

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

If you did it I would be a very jealous man everytime you drive by me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That was my dream that was just a little out of my reach /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Trust me, if I knew what my friend Ryan knows about Diesels, it'd be done a long time ago.