Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dust Cover Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluehen, May 17, 2005.

1. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

The basics: 87 K5 350ci 700R4 208

I think previous owner must have put a 700R4 with a 2wd case in my 4wd Blazer. When the turkey sold it to me he said he just didn't get around to putting the cover back on. In my ignorance I didn't think anything of it. So I took the 6 bolt 4wd dust cover and figured I would put it on later. Now, go figure, the dust cover holes don't line up. The case has the small holes at the top and bottom of the case like you would for a normal 2wd. The only covers you can get are the 6 bolt design with the two additional holes for the posts from the motor. The p.o. told me the shop that did the work and they are highly regarded as one of the best around. I am now questioning as to whether or not they even did the work. I will be stopping by the trans shop on my way home this evening to see if they have record of the work, and to see what they recommend on how to fix. In the meantime, what are your opinions?

Should I take the 6 bolt cover and drill out holes so I can line them up with the transmission case? Will that provide enough rigidity?

Should I drill and tap the trans case to accept the bolts for the dust cover? Seems much more risky, but might be necessary in order to provide the right strength.

Almost everyone I've talked to says that I need to get the proper dust cover on to prevent the engine from torquing against the trans. The only solution they have all had is to get a 4wd case. That's a great opinion if it isn't your wallet that has to pay for it.

Thanks for your help...

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well I would try and find the right cover first. But if that failed, and I couldn't afford another case, I would drill the cover. I don't know how much strength you really need from a dust cover, but it sounds kinda silly to me. I never even had one on my truck for that matter - back when I was auto.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mines "wrong" too...

My 82 K20 6.2's TH400 has a 2wd case evidently,same senario as yours--they put a 'tin" cover on it to hide the flexplate at the tranny shop who rebuilt it before I got the truck(supposedly)--

I was not overly concerned about the two steel rods that come from the motor mounts not having a place to bolt too(they left them wire tied to the cooler lines!)--I'd ssen lots of 4x4's without them never crack a case...but being anal,I decided to put all the bolts in the tin cover--some were sheet metal screws!--when I tried installing the "correct" screws robbed from another tranny,the case cracked at the bolt hole!--it does not leak,I just pray it never speads to the "critical" area near the guts of the tranny...I beat the truck pretty hard this winter plowing,so far no problems...but I wish I'd left it alone!--like they say--if it ain't broke,DONT FIX IT! :blush: I'll NEVER learn!! :crazy:

4. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I stopped by the trans shop. They said that a 4wd inspection cover couldn't be made to fit. They agreed that my best bet would be to get a 2wd inspection cover and screw it up there. Even though the posts wouldn't be attached, it would atleast keep out mud and stones. He also didn't think I had to much to worry about as far as cracking the case of the transmission.

Thanks for your help, guys.