Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duty cycle...Can you super cool?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Jun 8, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I was reading the manual for my welder and read about duty cycle. I can only weld 2 minutes outta 10 and wait 8 minutes to cool. If I add like two decent sized fans to aid the existing fan can I increase the duty cycle or just to decrease cooling time? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My little 110 volt welder has a thermal shutdown if you exceed the duty cycle. With a fan or any good airflow near the welder it will weld much longer before deciding it needs a rest /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The stock fan in that craftsman is pretty powerfull. More fans won't help much. I almost never hit the auto cut off on my welder. Make sure you leave it on in between welds and you should be fine.

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Rated duty cycle is at maximum amperage. As amps go down, duty cycle goes up proportionally. So unless you weld at the upper limits of the machine, I wouldn't worry much about it.