Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duty for mail order?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Aug 8, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was wondering if anyone knew what the rules were for wether or not duty is to be paid on stuff shipped from the US to Canada. I've heard that products made in the US is no duty, but I don't know for sure. Any info would be appreciated.
    I'm thinking of ordering a Soft top, the prices here are just stupid.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Canadian customs applies duty tax to anything shipped from the US to Canada, UNLESS IT IS A GIFT. I think the charge is something like 25 cents per dollar of purchase cost. Not only that, check out the UPS web site and get ready to wipe your bum when you see how much it costs to ship ANYTHING across the border!!!!!!!!

For example: I was going to buy a pair of used CIPA towing mirrors for the K5 on EBay. It would have cost me $12 US($18 CDN) to buy them. But after shipping and duty, the total cost of getting them to my house was $88 CDN. I can buy them at the local Canadian Tire new for around $90!!!!
    Trust me, it's not worth it. I don't even want to know what it would cost to ship something as big and bulky as a soft top...........unless the manufacturer will give you a deal to get your business.

And don't forget to factor in the exchange rate- ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I found out the hard way about UPS. I ordered some sway bar disconnects from ORD who charged me $12USD for shipping. I got them about a week later happy as a clam, then about another week later a got an invoice from UPS and they wanted another $45 bloody dollars for pre charges, PST, GST, etc. Screw that, I've yet to pay that bill. Well after getting burned I did a little research I found a company in Point Roberts which you can have your stuff sent to, they call when it comes in and you go pick it up. Costs about 3 bucks CDN. What you do at the border is your business......I just picked up a bunch more stuff from ORD yesterday. Any Q's email me at 79jimmy@sprint.ca and I'll give you the details.

Jimmy

79jimmy@sprint.ca