Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DV Camcorder to DVD help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beast388, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I need to tap the vast knowledge of CK5 for some help with AV stuff.

I need to transfer a video file that is on an analog tape in a DV camcorder onto my PC and then make a video CD or DVD.

After doing a bit of research, it appears that I need a PCI video capture card and a cable to connect the camcorder to my PC. The only ports on the camcorder are USB, DV and AV.

My PC is a 3.2 P4 with a Gig of RAM, 128mb vid card, DVD-rom and DVD-RW so the only hardware that I think I need would be the capture card.

Can anyone tell me what I need and need to do to make this happen? Thanks in advance for the help!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

in response to beast388

its bad when you can talk in code
    713883502054414.... lol yeah? well
    so /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

buy a firewire card and studio 9

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yep, sounds like that is all you'll need. Of course you'll need software too. Make sure that the stuff you get will handle analog video if that is indeed the medium the vid is on.. Not everything does. A lot of it is designed for DV only.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you have a firewire card? I'm not sure if you can use it with analog tape in the camcorder, but the DV connector should plug into a firewire and be a world faster to transfer than video capture card. Even for future projects beyond this one, the dv-firewire should make a big difference. On my dv camcorder, you can only transfer stills over the usb cable to the pc, transferring video is not even an option without DV/firewire. However, using my mac with the DV cable absolutely ROCKS. I can control the camera through the cable, and the video transfer is perfect. I started downloading the video to my mac, then picking up the completed videos on the pc to burn to dvd. Of course, our friggin dvd players won't play any dvd+r discs...

I have a PC video capture card, and the quality to file size leaves a lot to be desired. I had planned on taking all our home videos and transferring them to dvd with the capture card, but the quality was horrendous, and with 2gb+ file sizes, it was a huge pain in the butt to try to edit. I'd even offer to send you my old capture card if I hadn't re-assigned it to the security computer...

So basically, I'd see if your camera can transfer the analog video over the DV line, and if so, buy a firewire card instead of a video capture card, and make the transfer that way. Hopefully, the camera came with video software...

Normally I wouldn't say this, either, but a Mac would probably help you out quite a bit with this...

Oh, not that you asked, but here's a quick sample of a completed video from our dv camera to mac to PC (camera was brand new and much lighter than expecting, that's why the video is all over the place)...

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you dont need a video capture card you need a firewire card and cable. what brand of camera is it? on my sony camcorder i have both usb and firewire but the usb compreses the video and the firewire dont. now you said you want to burn it to cd or dvd right? what are you going to do with it? is it just to use on a pc? or are you wanting to play it on a set top dvd player? if its just for pc then if it will fit ya you can put it on a cd. if you want to put it in a set top dvd player you can make a vcd or svcd on a cd and some players will play it.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.....

My PC has 4 firewire ports but I assume that the firewire card you speak of is different. Once I check TigerDirect I may answer my own question.

The camcorder (my boss'...this is a work project) is a Canon NTSC ZR85 Digital Video Camcorder. I assume the video is analog because it is recorded on tape.

Newyorkin....you are correct, I can only download the still pics off of the SD card using the USB cable.

Does anyone recommend a certain brand of firewire card? This is the first of potentially many projects like this.

Does anyone know which port I need to hook this firewire cable to? Like I said above, the ports are marked USB, AV and DV. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. mudhog

if your pc has 4 fire wire ports then you only need the cable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudhog

oh and the fire wire cable hooks to the dv port on the cam

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I may have answered some of my own questions...... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The DV port on the front of this camera is a 4 pin and the firware ports on my PC are 6 pin. It appears that this cable will do the trick.

Now, can anyone tell me since I have 4 6 pin firwire ports, do I need a firewire card? I would guess no, but you guys are the experts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

My computer came with Ulead VideoStudio and Windows movie maker for software. Will either of those two work? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. mudhog

yes that is the cable you need. no you dont need to buy a fire wire card. i use and like the ulead 7.0 works really well and is easy to use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

LOL!

Shannon, you answered my questions in the time it took me to type that last post! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. mudhog

no problem always glad to help when i can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oh hey, the tape should be digital if it was recorded by that camera. It should be digits recorded to the tape instead of waves or whatever the old analogue was...

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh hey, the tape should be digital if it was recorded by that camera. It should be digits recorded to the tape instead of waves or whatever the old analogue was...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah Ha......thanks Ratch, that makes sense! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif