Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DV camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jun 1, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my wife wants a DV camera so Ive started looking around the web to see whats out there. Short answer: 50 billion choices. lol! Anyway, we're looking to spend less than $500... but we do have a couple of hundred bucks in Bestbuy gift cards that might help. We're not in a hurry... and can wait for good deals to come along. I think the MiniDV would be the best format for us. Anyone have any recommendations? she wants to use it on trips to the coast, zoo etc... I want to use it for wheelin' trips (duh!). Doesn't need to have still photo capability... or super crazy hi resolution. Just wanna be able to record some fun stuff and transfer it over to the 'puter (from there to the web, or dvdrs). Anyone have one?

j

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My wife and I bought this JVC just after Christmas. We have used it a few times since then to shoot footage of my sister's wedding and various family gatherings etc. I took it on my last wheelin' trip and it shot some pretty good video. I had zero problem getting the video onto my PC and making DVDs.

This is our first camcorder so I can't really compare it to a different model, but I am happy with the quality of the video it takes. The battery lasts for 1-2 hours depending on how much you use the LCD (which is all the time for us). IIRC, I paid about $320 on sale at Best Buy but then you need to purchase MiniDV tapes and case etc.

[​IMG]

So far we are very happy with it. :D

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We bought the Canon Elura 60 (MiniDV) a little less than a year ago for around $600. My brother told me he saw it last week on clearance somewhere for around $200... I was thinking maybe I'd buy another for work and real estate stuff at that price...

It's been great for us, super-clear picture, easy to use, easy to transfer to PC (although I had to get a firewire card first), pretty good battery life. We've put several hours on it, and it still looks/acts as brand new, crystal clear image. The battery is probably at least 2 hours, but we've never really used it that long continuously, so I can't be sure. It also does have the still feature, which is cooler than I expected 'cause it allows you to capture photos during playback. I've had many moments recorded on video that I think would make a great photo, so this feature is cool to me.
    These are all probably things that are common in a modern dv camera, though.
    Compared to our old Sony 8mm, which was a big high end deal 5 years ago, this thing blows it away.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cool. Im starting to think about the whole digital thing tho... would it be a lot cheaper to just get an analog tape-based camera? My dad has a BLING video capture analog-to-digital conversion set up on his PC and I have a bunch of old 8mm tapes laying around. hmmm... it would take more fiddling around to get it on to a DVD (gotta run it over to dads house etc) but that could save some $$$$... and Im not sure all the issues with digital cams are worked out yet. Seems most of them arent very good at all in low light etc. Would an analog cam be better for me?

j