Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DVD burning.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 20, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

In the time I was gone from this lounge I purchased a DVD burner after a much awaited arrival.

Anyways, it's not very good, slow.

I have had it for 2 or so weeks and haven't burned any movies. Just Data DVD's (woohoo over 4 gigs of storage per disc).

For some reason in "my computer" the CD-Rom drive and the DVD burner drive doesn't show up, like they have been disconnected.

When I was trying to burn a movie (TTC 2003) I ripped it onto my hard drive, but I couldn't burn it with the nero suite it came with.

Suggestions? When I tried to burn the movie, I selected video disc or something for Nero, and it acted like it was a CD-R instead of a DVD-r...

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

in the first screen you see when opening Nero at the top right there are two little tabs one say DVD and the other CD click the one marked DVD I had this problem at first.

Is your DVD Rom internal or external? If internal how did you jumper your DVD drive?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks, I will check that setting in Nero.

We had a CD-Burner installed in the same spot, which I replaced with the DVD burner, so I just used the same connections for the DVD burner. not sure which jumper I used... (sorry, not very good with computer stuff)

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Right click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and select "Properties". Select the "Hardware" tab and then click on "Device Manager". Now click the little plus sign to the left of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". Next, right click on "Secondary IDE Channel" and select "Properties". Select the "Advanced Settings" tab and then make sure that the setting for "Transfer Mode" is set to "DMA if available" for both devices. If not set to that mode, DVD's will burn VERY slowly. :( For some reason that only Microsoft understands, it seems like it always gets turned off by default when you install a new device. :mad:

Wasn't that simple? :doah:

You also need to READ the directions that came with the burner and set the jumpers on the new drive correctly. They differ depending on whether you have a single CD or DVD drive or two. :rolleyes:

There is plenty of good DVD burning info available at http://www.doom9.org/

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks, I checked on it and it was already set to the DMA if availible.

I will re-read the instructions and make sure I have it on the right one.

thanks

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you need to double check the jumper, as mentioned

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I got 5$ on the ide cable came disconnected from the board. (common problem when noobs make pc repair (no offence intended))

Pop your case back open and follow the ribbon cable from the dvd drive back to the mainboard, make sure its tight.

ALSO, older cdroms used 40 pin wires, whereas newer burners (DVD) MAY require you to use an 80pin. (only way to tell the different is that 80 pin wire will have MUCH smaller wires that make up the ribbon. If your Harddrive is IDE, chances are its on an 80 pin cable, use that for reference.

For the people sayin its a jumper problem ... thats possible ... but do you figure the jumper magicly moved itself since it was working a week ago?!?

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Where did he say it was working last week.

9. CustomChevy

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do you think both of them came dissconnected? The CD-ROM drive doesn't show up or work either.

I will check that and report back.

Thanks!!

11. CustomChevy

thats why i figure its loose @ the board. Both devices are probably on the same cable, and that cable probably wiggled itself loose.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If you burn from the cd to the dvd, it will be slow if they are on the same cable. They are sharing bandwidth then. Try to have the cd player on the cable with your hard drive and the burner on the other cable. Also, most 80 pin cables, which are required for udma66 or faster, have one blue connector on the mother board side.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhh, no. The interface speed on CD and DVD drives is orders of magnitude slower than a hard drive interface. They should never be on the same controller channel with each other. The typical setup is to have hard drives on channel 1 and CD/DVD drives on channel 2. Copying directly from a CD or DVD drive on channel 2 to another CD or DVD drive that's also on channel 2 shouldn't be slow. If it is, then a jumper is set wrong on one of the drives or there's another problem with the system. I have no problems doing a disk to disk on-the-fly CD burn at 52X or DVD burns at 8X.

14. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Yes, which is exactly why having the cd on with the hard drive and the dvd burner on the other channel is best. If he burns from cd to dvd, they are are on different channels, if he burns from hd to dvd, they are on different channels. Look it up, pcworld, maximumpc have all stated this.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

On the DVD drive the jumper was set on the fifth pin, or "reserve" so I set it to master.

Checked all the connections and pushed them in tight. Still doesn't show up.

I go into my computer and into the device manager and it says both drives hardware is installed but the device cannot be found. Why would this be? I checked the connection to the motherboard with the IDE cable and it was in there good, along with the connections on the CD and DVD drives.

This is focking annoying. anymore suggestions why I can't use them at all?

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

also, I checked the IDE cable and compared it to my harddrive cable and the harddrive cable is A LOT smaller than the DVD and CD drive cable. But will a 80 pin connector work where a 40-pin connector was used??:confused:

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Take pictures, stop messing with it

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

take pictures of what??

19. CustomChevy

yes it will.

Also note now that you have moved the jumper to master you could be creating a conflict with any other drive thats on the same cable.

if there is another device, make it slave.

also try the 80 pin. It might be the difference you're looking for.

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The cables, the backs of the drives, and the computer.

Is your hard drive IDE? Are both drives?

If they're all IDE

IDE1 - Master: Hard Drive Slave: CD

IDE2 - Master: DVD