Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dvr

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anybody have DVR ?? My local cable co. is offering DVR now. My bill would go up $9.00 a month. Think I'm going too try it. DVR box

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just got a new DVR from Dish Network, I kinda worked them on it, threatened to cancel etc. The deal is:

A: Is it a dual tuner (controls two TV's w/ one box)
    B: Is it HiDef (looks like it in the pic)
    C: How many hours of recording (mine is 80)
    D: Cost

Mine costs nothing extra per month, as I do not have an HD box (there are only a few channels in HD so far, so you should check) The DVR feature is free, I just pay $5 per box, and having the dual tuner box eliminates one box and $5 per mo.

I have a single tuner w/DVR in the master and a dual w/DVR in the living room, ea. w/ 80 hours (plenty) and one in the kitchen w/ no DVR.

So, I guess instead of rambling: Yes I would pay $9 a month for DVR, you ought to try and work them, especially if you have no contract, see if you can get two, or an upgrade. It's great, you can record at once or schedule it to record every showing of a particular program, or do like I do and start every show 15-20 minutes late so you can skip all the commercials.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i live by dvr. i cant stand commercials anmore. i pay 5 bucks extra amonth, but thats more because of they are hd boxes.

love the sports in hd!!!

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Exactly! I never watch live TV anymore. If I'm recording something, I just watch something else I already recorded. I've never liked commercials, now I don't have to see them anymore. Works great if you have kids. Just pause the TV and take care of them, and you come back and start right where you left off. I still have Peacekeeper Wars stored on mine.:wink1:

So, yes I'd pay the extra $$.

The only down side I've found is that I have no clue what new movies are coming out because I don't see the movies. I went by the theatre the other day and wondered what all the movies were about, I'd never heard of them.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have the complete Farscape series on DVD. Just bought The Peacekeeper Wars last month.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

That is the same model as Comcast uses. I have one and love it for the most part. My only real complaint is they disabled the USB ports and RJ45 ports. That makes it near impossible to transfer the stored programs to my computer. The model I have is 40 hours and you we be surprised how fast that goes. I have the parts to build a nice HTPC to replace it. Once I have that I can put the terabit of hard drive space and the DVD burner to good use.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So I just checked, mine has a UBC port on it, does that mean I could hook it up to a PC and burn DVD's off it?

And do you need any kind of software for the DVR to PC?

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Not quite the same as you guys are talking about, but we just got the g/f's mom Tivo for Christmas, since she is always recording things and looking for tapes. She loves it and I like it as well. Thought about going the Comcast route, but then we would have had to get her digital cable as well. It takes a little getting used to, but even her with her fear of change and all things new is getting the hang of it and likes it.

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have Tivo and live by it. It is freakin awesome. I think I pay $5 extra bucks a month and paid $100 for it when I bought it. It was worth every penny. You push 3 buttons and it records your favorite show everytime it comes on, no matter what time or what channel it comes on. It's nice when you order pay per view movies too since you can just order and record it. I can record 2 different shows at once and watch shows that have already been recorded.

It will change your life especially if you have children, which I don't think you do?:confused:

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i just switched to optimum online from direct tv. the package was way cheaper for tv phone internet.

i had tivo for direct tv, abd i actually haddd to hack into the bix (hughes) in order to send movies. the usb ports were there, but not operational with pc's yet

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Took the old cable box to the Cable co. and picked up my DVR box. Now I just need too record something and check it out. It does have a listing for all HD channels on the guild with this box, that's kind of a nice feature.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] Sorry for the poor quality, but I was shaking, I do that because I was one of those lucky kids that was om meds that damaged my centreal nervious system.