Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DW, d60, & fender washers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatbob, Nov 12, 2006.

1. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I've put two fender washers under the top cap on the d60, and it greatly reduced the tendency of death wobbly.
    But it's not clear if I need to put washers under the BOTTOM CAP also, or can I go ahead and add some more under the top cap?
    Most threads I've read just mention putting washers under the cap, and thats about it.

Thanks
    Bob

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

its only under the top caps...do yourself a favor, buy new springs and bushing and dont shim, then go from there

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

yeah, address the REAL problem. If castors off, shim it. If TREs are worn out, buy new ones...I fully rebuilt my 60 (aside from getting gears in it) and it doesn't wobble ONE BIT now. new steering parts, new kingpin parts, new bearings...the works. It drives GREAT now.

I had DW on my 10b...i know part of it was caused when i got slack in my hub bearings...and im gonna guess some of it was from the tie rod and/or drag link...im sure they BJs have also seen better days too.

Edit: btw, make sure that the front end is aligned too...more than just castor...toe in/out can affect it too.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I know thats good advice guys, But sometimes ya gotta stretch those dollars.:rolleyes:
    But for now, I think I'll add another washer to the top caps.:doah:

Thanks
    Bob

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Do the washers. When you get some $$ do the springs and bushings.

I rebuilt my D60 from the ground up and had no DW until I went to crossover. Then I needed two shims and a steering stabiliser to *mask* it. I can still feel it trying to start now and then, and on rough roads I will still get it on occasion

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You don't have to stretch them TOO far, brother. ORD sells the bushing/spring kit for around $20 for BOTH sides. Replace the springs and bushings, and then go from there.

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Another one going to say the bushings and springs are cheap. I bought mine from a local HD truck center. Only prob here is I still had DW:mad: I think I have narrowed it down to my shot out shackles and bushings, everything else in the suspension is new.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I replaced my kingpins 2 weekends ago, wheeled it this weekend, and the front end is much tighter. I am no longer running fender washers.

Its worth the time and $ to be safe.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  9. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Don't have it as far as I know

Now I'm starting to worry about DW and I don't even have it!I finally got around to rebuilding the one that's been sitting in my garage and am hoping to have it under the '70 by the end of the week.And you guys are freaking me out!My rig is pretty much my daily driver.I try to take my bike as much as possible but if it's raining or I need it at work on the beach I have to drive the Blazer.I mean I GET to drive the Blazer.It has great on-road manners and I have driven it as far as Memphis.Lotta power,soft-top,lifted,of course I drive it!But this DW thing has me worried that I'll be totally changing all that.I used all the new parts and have a new steering box and new ORD highsteer so all the rod ends will be new.And I'll use the old tie rod to setup the initial toe-in.And it won't be rotated so the caster should be stock.What else?