Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DW on 10 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Apr 21, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I never read many of those death Wobble posts because I thought it only pertained to putting in a Dana 60...

Here's my situation. Driving down the road one of my front tires hits a bump or pothole or whatever and the front end starts to shake back and forth a little bit. but then it seems like it feeds on itself and within 3 seconds the front end is violently shaking back and forth. It has been getting worse over the past couple of days, and now I can barely drive 100 ft without it happening. The way I get it to stop is stop the truck then start driving again (until the next bump in the road) ALSO (LUCKILY) It hasn't done it over 45 mph... WTF This is the original axle...no swap or nothin' /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I suffered from this as well with my 10 bolt. Did you remove your sway bar? Mine never did it until I removed my sway bar. But I don't think that is the entire cause. Check your ball joints and wheel bearings. You may just need to replace your spring bushings. Do you have a lift on the truck?

3. B_to_C

swaybar's still connected. I have a four inch lift. I'm going outside right now to check balljoint's and bearings...

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Was this happening before we wheeled? Might be related to that clicking noise we heard on the trail... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

more than likley its your ball joints, i have a small problem with it on mine with no sway bar and 5"s of suspension

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Make sure the spring u-bolts are tight......

7. B_to_C

ha, yea that stupid clicking noise... still don't know about that.

But My front right ball joint is shot and my steering stabilizer has a huge dent in it (probably renndering it useless) So I'm fixing those two things today...I'll get back to you guys on whether or not that fixes it. Thanks!

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

It's the steering stablizer. My truck had the same problem when it was still running stock tires and no lift. I replaced the completely worn out steering stabilizer with a new one and haven't had the problem since.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The steering stabilizer may help, but in ideal conditions, you shouldn't need the stabilizer at all. I vote for loose suspension components (ball joints, u bolts) or out of alignment.

Although I fully agree a new steering stabilizer is a good idea, I believe that may have the tendancy to hide other problems.

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I have that clicking popping noise too. I just pull my spring bolts out and grease them. Until I finally order some ORD greasable ones. Is your frame cracked by the box? Maybe the broken frame pieces are rubbing and making your noise. I had the death wobble twice. After I put the hydro assist on I never had trouble again.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have hydro assist, but no crossover?

12. B_to_C

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I Replaced the steering stabilizer and right front ball joint today. Both wheel bearings are good. The violent sshaking (I didn't think this was possible) is geting worse... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

...I'm checking the frame at the steering box tomorrow afternoon.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a TRE or a DLE. They sometimes click when dry (no grease) a 1/16" of play in an end can cause the tires to wander a whold inch side to side (an inch is a lot in the steering). I have had this problem many times and it was usually worn ball joints (which you already checked) or the ends. (get lifetime parts as you will wear them out again)

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I had a wobble once and it turned out to be a worn out hub. I could spin the race around in the hub by hand. Just a thought.

15. B_to_C

yea az-k5, It's not like the steering system is that complicated. It is now narrowed down to the DLE or TRE. Solution?

REPLACE IT ALL /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

actually I bouhgt both drag link ends today for $60 at checker, but it is WAY too nasty out to do work today.

Sometime next week I should have my new tie-rod (w/ new ends) from MOO. Unfortunately that's next week... and this is my daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

DW has been a problem for a long time for a number of people on this site. There have been numerous posts, even some from mechanical engineers, but no true fix for DW. For some people, new tie rod ends or drag links fix the problem, for others a new steering stabilizer will do the trick.

Personally, I think these changes only alter aspects of the steering/suspension systems and therefore mask the root of the problem. I have replaced all parts associated with both systems and, sad to say, DW eventually comes back. I've replaced from the PS pump to all hub bearings/races and everything in between. I've used shims to change axle angle, new spring bushings, aftermarket shackles, sway bar relocation kits, no sway bar, toe-in, toe-out and a whole lot more. People have even posted that stock vehicles with stock-size tires have had it happen. Basically, this is the most frustrating automotive problem I've encountered.

This problem is not confined to Dana 60's, but has happened on 44's and 10-Bolts as well. My brother has a Dana 44 in the front of his '76 K5 and has never experienced DW. Even with worn out tie rod ends, drag links, and ball joints, it has never exhibited DW. I also have a friend with a '77 (I think) K5 with almost the same set-up as my brother, and, like me, he can't get rid of DW.

I've been tinkering with the idea of hydraulic assist or crossover steering, but I haven't heard that either will fix DW. It might help with bump-steer, but that is not the same as DW. Is there anyone out there that had DW and corrected it with hydro assist, crossover, or both? What about a panhard tie rod?

17. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I, too experienced (severe) DW on a D44. I had completely gone through the axle with all new parts. I used the leafs, ORD shackles and greasable bushings from my old truck. I stuck all of this (+ crossover steering) at one time under a newly purchased (daily driver) Blazer.
    Bam!
    DW outta this world! Undriveable if you hit a bump or dip in the road up to about 40mph. If I could get it above 40, it was fine. I through every solution I could think of to it- nothing fixed, changed or calmed it. I finally bit the bullet and installed hydro assist.
    Like night and day I could now drive the truck at any speed. I will note though, the DW was still there- the hydro assist just keeps it from going into full cyclic action. If you had felt the DW in my truck before hydro, you would notice the very slight shimmy at 35mph that is quickly dampened out.

Now, with that said, I later swapped the D44 out to a D60. Using the same leafs, shackles, bushings and crossover steering, I mounted the same hydro assist system on the new D60. Drives just the same....until one day while rockcrawling....we bashed the hydro cylinder and sheared off the end of the cylinder.
    The DW made its return in all of its glory.
    Not a bit of difference from D44 to D60 in my truck.

You decide what are the common items and see if there is any sense to be made of my experience.
    Let me know what you think.
    I have tired myself of even caring about the fix.
    I just make damn sure I have spare hydro assist parts!

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Todd,

How much toe-in are you running?

19. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I haven't done the cross over yet. And I may not. The wife told me the other day I can /34 ton the burb after the new engine is done. It looks like the burb within a year will be a DD/tow rig instead of all purpose wheeler/DD/etc...

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Have you had it crossed up with the wheel turned both directions since you intalled it?