Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DW update and questions, well halfa$$ DW

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

OK, been away way to long but I was last month talking about my almost death wobble. After my 3 hour trip to Florance dunes this last weekend I know what was wrong. Brakes, yes I know you guys told me. So the low down,,,
    Did the axle swap to a 3/4ton 10 bolt center section for the gears. Bolted on the original spindles, rotors, calipers, hubs. Never had a problem before with the original front end. After the first major trip, nothing. On the way home (2miles from home) got the front end shake bad, worse on the brakes. So drove the same trip the next day, nothing. This past weekend drove 3hours, nothing, drove home got the wobble. Realized that my front wheels were heating up bad and quickly. Then I realized my drivers side rotor was way hot, passenger too but not the same. Hit the bleeder on the drivers side and it all went away for 50 miles, started to come back. I'm sure the bearing were not overtightened. One side I cranked the nut down and it was only at a min. tightness.
    So I'm looking at why the brakes are not reliving pressure. Both wheels get hot, drivers worse, so I'm not thinking sticking calipers. But I really don't know, maybe proporting valve? Thanks guys!!!
    HELP HELP HELP!!!

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I recently had a problem with my truck pulling hard right upon braking. And that was with new brakes. Finally I pulled the calipers back off and really slicked up the caliper. I worked it in and out (with the help of a c-clamp to keep from pushing the piston out too far) and got the spray silicone as deep into it as I could. I also made sure to really lube up the slide bolts that the caliper floats on. This ended up solving my problem.

i know you said you don't think it is sticking calipers, but I would double check and do what I mentioned. Took me about 30 minutes to do both sides. It wouldn't hurt to be sure and would be a cheaper place to start than any other part of the brake system!

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If your brake lines are old, these swell and may not allow break fluid to go back up the line and relieve the caliper form putting out pressure.

Happens in cars all the time...ask me how I know!

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I have a set of braided stainless lines right now. Could the proporting valve keep the fluid from reliving pressure? And what would have changed things when I did the swap?

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

How old are the lines? If they are more than 10 years old... replace them. The reason why Cali does not approve Stainless brake lines is because you can not visually see the rubber braking down on the outside, as the braiding is in the way.

You can try and press on the button on the proportioning valve and bleed the brakes.

However, I am leaning towards a bad caliper. I have seen/heard of more bad calipers than bad brake lines. Usually a caliper goes bad because the rubber boot surrounding the piston on the caliper gets ripped. This allows water into the piston and cylinder = rust = sticking caliper.

Good luck.