Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DW Update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rlhenry, May 5, 2002.

1. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Ok, here are some of the things I've done so far to try to get rid of Death Wobble. First, I removed the 2.5 degree shims that I installed to compensate for the extended shackles. It didn't help. Then I installed new drag links. That seemed to help, but after my first trip wheeling, DW was back. Then, I toed the wheels in about 1/4 inch, but that didn't help either. Next, I pulled the PS pump belt to run without power assist. Again, DW persisted. That should be interesting to a few of you who suggested trying this. On my vehicle, it didn't help things. My next step was to have my girlfriend turn the wheel slightly back and fourth while I inspected all of the undercarrige for play. What I found was that the shackle bushings are flexing way too much. The flex in the bushings is causing the leaf springs to twist from side to side which in turn moves the axle from side to side. I imagine that when the vehicle is in motion, this type of movement would create havoc with the steering. My next step, of course, is to order new bushings and see what that does. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

One other thing on DW, it seems that it is always worse right after wheeling. Then, after a day or so of driving on paved roads again, it seems like it lessens. Does anyone else notice that?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

One other thing on DW, it seems that it is always worse right after wheeling. Then, after a day or so of driving on paved roads again, it seems like it lessens. Does anyone else notice that?

<hr></blockquote>
    i have noticed that as well /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Hey can you do a quick and dirty runout check on your front tires? I have the 33's back on and checked them yesterday. Got .058" and .045" radial and less than .030" lateral on both. I just used a jack stand with a screwdriver clamped to it for a pointer. Moved the jackstand until the screwdriver tip just touched the tire at the high spot while rotating it. Then used stacked up feeler gages to measure the largest gap. Also be intresting to see if the runout is different after wheeling, I'll check my 35's before and after next time out. Did you have DW before the extended shackles?
    BTW I was checking that lugcentric thing and got about .020" more runout by tightening the lugs with the weight of the truck on the tire.