Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dying door panels

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by clarkjw24, Oct 17, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What do you guys use to dye interior plastics like the door panels. I hear a lot say that its better than the paint. Where do you get the dye and how hard is it to do?

2. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I used VHT interior dye that i got from summit, I also used a plastic paint that you can get at home depot. I used this on my door panels and it has worked out pretty good so far.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

Sem is definitely the best I've ever seen. If you use Sem make sure you also get a product they sell to promote adhesion. It's called Sand Free. Comes in a aerosol can spray it on first while its wet (softens up the plastic) spray on a light color coat. It's Awesome!

5. BURB-STYLE

BURB-STYLE Registered Member

Get an Eastwood catalog, they sell kits to do it. I used it to do the inside of my sub. it has worked good for me.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

Have had very good luck with SEM products before. One word of advice, make sure those suckers are CLEAN before dying them!!!! Definately use some wax and grease remover after washing them repeatedly.

7. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

painterbccc

Clean and clean them again. I've been using wax and grease remover, then wash them with purple cleaner and water. If they have ever had armor all on them you might want to wash the back of the panels also. I don't even want that dressing stuff in my shop.

8. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

I agree with what every one else said. Use the SEM brand products. I used them to redo my blue door panels, armrests, etc. The colors don't always match oem, but my interior sure looked 100 times better when I was done and it never peeled or flaked off like paint would.