Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dying Plastic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Sep 2, 2004.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I have changed my interior to black, but still have my tan interior parts. Can I simply dye these parts black? If so, how, what products, etc?

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

SEM is supposed to make good stuff for changing interior colors, I'd look into that myself, I've heard from numerous people that have had good results with it.

3. jds_lpd

jds_lpd Registered Member

On the TRUCKS! show on Spike Host David Stacy painted the panels with a vinyl paint.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you have a big enough part, you can boil some water and use clothing dye.. We used to do this back in the day with small remote control car parts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I know some of the interior parts are rather large.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have purchased cans of spray vinyl dye in the past. Most auto stores carry something like this in at least a few colors: black is probably included.

It works well and looks good, but it doesn't last forever on high wear items like armrests, so you might have to redo those every couple of years.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have purchased cans of spray vinyl dye in the past. Most auto stores carry something like this in at least a few colors: black is probably included.

It works well and looks good, but it doesn't last forever on high wear items like armrests, so you might have to redo those every couple of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I used some plastic paint when i re-did the panels etc in my 77. The arm rests eventually wore off, but the rest still looked fine. I painted it around 1990, and sold it in 99, so that should give you an idea of the results I had. Besides that, I would imagine that the paints offered these days will only be better.