Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dying quadra-crap...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SandSlugg, Oct 26, 2002.

1. SandSlugg

SandSlugg Registered Member

So i have a 86 K5, original setup on the engine, it came from CA so i am pretty sure it has CA emissions on it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyway my carb (a quadra-somthing, i forget) is acting real crappy on me, expecially in the winter. I want to replace it, but someone told me i might have to replace the intake manifold as well, that doesnt sound right. is there any truth to that? couldnt i just replace the carb?

my mechanical knowedge stops after an oil change... trying to improve that.

thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Its called a Quadrajet. And the best thing to do would be to replace it with a new Quadrajet. Quadrajets are the best 4x4 carborater there is. Either buy a new one, or look into a fuel injection kit. Look to spend around $450 on a new Quadrajet. I have an Edlebrock and am verry plesed with it. Other companys such as Jet Performance also make them. I would avoid buying a rebuilt carb. I have done it once, and took it back and bought the Edlebrock. If you are interested in the fuel injection kit. It will run you around $2000. Fuel injection kits are awsome. You could also look in a junk yard and pull the manifold, throttle body linkage, wireing harness... off an 87-91 blazer and swap it on yours. I have heard of people doing all this for around 300, but you have to really know what you are doing. It wouldnt be a good move to put a regular carb on, it would cost a lot to replace the carb, the manifold and adjust the linkage... to make it work. Then it will just stall out off raod. Quadrajets do verry well off raod, however, they will stall at extream angles, and with fuel injection, you can run upside down. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

lose the quadrajunk and get an edelbrock 600. $250. i love mine and it is a whole lot simpler. no a new manifold is not needed. all you need is and adapter plate. call summit racing and tell them what you want and the will tell you what you need to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SandSlugg

SandSlugg Registered Member

so what about the new QuadraJets? Any better? I do get a few telling me they are good, but most people tell me to forget-IT! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif they sure are more spendy than a standard carb...

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The new Edel Q-Jet is FANTASTIC but $$$. If you can afford it, that's probably the way to go. Please do not get the little square bore AFB clone from Edel or anyone else. They CAN NOT be made to run right at angles and with rough terrain. Even the Edel techs told me (and I talked to more than one for quite some time) that the “off-road” kit was only a marginal improvement in handling the effects of rough terrain, and nothing much could be done for it’s problems with off-camber fuel delivery. That’s a very good STREET carb but not very useful off-road. As was already suggested, you can get a complete TBI system from a junkyard donor (that’s what I did) and it works even better. The Q-Jet can ultimately deliver more power and is probably the best for “trail riding”, mud, sand, etc. But for “Rock Crawling”, you can’t beat EFI. TBI is simpler and cheaper, TPI can support more power but costs more and is more difficult to setup…

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

For the same $$$ either get the Q-jet or the new Holley truck avenger, they are both great off road, and if someone tells you other carbs are better, they either had a bad q-jet, or they don't go on extreme angles like I do.
    $450 is about what you would pay for either of those carbs but you get what you pay for.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You said it is acting even worse in the winter, which leads me to believe it's choke related. I had a similar prob, and it turned out to be the electronic choke. Easy cheap fix.

John

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Your problems may be very simple and can be fixed while spending little to no money. Quadrajets can live good, long, lives, they just need a little work from time to time, just like everything else.

You've got to at least try adjusting the choke and making sure all of the linkages are free before dumping a lot of money.

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Baddog:
    The new Edel Q-Jet is FANTASTIC but $$$. If you can afford it, that's probably the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
    86blazerk5:
    I have an Edlebrock and am verry plesed with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    k5 beater:
    lose the quadrajunk and get an edelbrock

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see a pattern here...

HEY! Just so happens I have an Edelbrock 1910 for sale! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan