Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dynamat alternatives?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyBob, Jun 4, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Okay, Dynamat is damn expensive, and I wanna get something that's almost as good, and a lot cheaper. I know someone posted (I think on the K5 board) a loooong time ago about some kinda stick on stuff that was cheaper than dynamat, but just as good. What are some alternatives I can use?

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Alot of people dont really understand how dynamat actually works... The main thing is does is makes the panel heavier so it will not vibrate as much.. you can acheive this exact same thing with rubberized spray under coating that you can get at almost any automotive parts stores.. its alot cheaper then dynamat and does the exact same thing... granted dynamat is a lot cleaner to put on since it is done with strips where as you have to spray this on like spray paint.... but its cheaper and does the same thing.. Hope this helps

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think the stuff is roof patch stuff you can buy at Home Depot. It has the self stick, tar type stuff in the middle and a outter layer of aluminum. The widest they sell is 18" and like 30' long. I picked up a flier for it but they didn't have any in stock when I stopped by.

I am going to do the floor, roof, and back wall of my s-10 with it to try and make it quiter inside. I might also try some of the undercoating in the doors...might be a bit easier to get in there with that stuff.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

7. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

McMaster carr? never heard of 'em... got a link?

8. Greg72

Try this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for "Adhesive-backed Damping Sheets" you will find the Polymeric Mastic in the list of search results.
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Well i just ordered some raammat so ill let you guys know how it is when it gets here.

10. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

<<<There is a material known as "Ice Guard," which is used by roofing contractors. It is similar to Dynamat, both in thickness and density. It is self-adhesive on one side, and seems to work very well. Unfortunately, it is sold only in large quantities (225 ft^2 rolls), and runs about $70 for this much. Perhaps a few people could get together for a roll, or it might be possible to get scraps from a roofing contractor.>> I JUST TALKED TO MY DAD TODAY, WHO IS A ROOFING CONTRACTOR, AND HE HAS SOME OF THIS ICE GUARD IN STOCK SO ILL TRY IT AND LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW IT GOES

11. Greg72

Is that what the construction guys lovingly refer to as "bitch-ethane".....due to it's difficulty to work with?

I always laughed when I heard it called that.
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

ICE GUARD "Bitch Ethane" im not sure ive never heard it called that, my dad does all rubber roofing, and he said its like thick rubber with one side adhesive, said it works just like dynamat so if anyone every needs any let me know

13. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

I dont think they sell that in so-cal. lol /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. Speed8379

Speed8379 Registered Member

Hey i work for a caprt store and i have founf that padding for carpet works the same as Dynamat. Just another idea!!!

15. Greg72

Carpet padding isn't quite the same....

The dynamat products (or equivalent) actually bond to the metal and add "mass" to the metal surfaces which lowers their resonant frequency, and also makes it more difficult to excite the resonance in the first place.....

A carpet pad doesn't really "bond" with the metal, so the best it can do is absorb some airborne frequencies, and help reduce some of the panel vibrations at certain frequencies.

Don't get me wrong, carpet padding is a good additional step to controlling noise, but it's NOT performing the same function as the Dynamat products.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Check into the cascade line of products. I really love their sprayable V-block and the v-block paste. I can't use the sheet materials much down here in the desert because the adhesives come loose. Even with acetone prep and the such.

17. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Well have to say that i love the raammat. Its 60 mils thick and has an aluminum top sheet like dynamat xtreme. This stuf sticks like no other, no heat need what so ever. Around $100 dollars shipped to your door for 62.5 square feet, also a discount when ordering 2 or more rolls. I did 1 layer on the dash, behind the rear sidepanels, wheel wells and rear floor, and 2 layers on the doors with 1 roll. If you want some check out www.raamaudio.com or search ebay for raam.