Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dynatrac

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at the Dynatrac pro dana 60's front and rears, are thier prices worth what you get. They look like they are solid (heavy-duty) Dana 60 axles. but are they worth the price. roughly $4000 for 1 axles seems quite a bit of dough. :blush:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

4000 is expensive but if you add everything up it dosent seem as steep

if you add everything up you will end up spending 2500+for a nicely built front end and around 1000 for a nicelybuilt rearend.

all of this includes time and effort and if you dont have the time do rebuild an axle and you have that kind of money then go for it. alot of ppl will be drooling when u get them installed.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you might try some of their competitors...

http://www.rockcrusher-usa.com/

personally, if I was going to spend $4000 on a 60, I'd seriously consider getting one of those bling bling aluminum high clearance center sections from Currie, some Daedenbear inner Cs and some superior gears / shafts with CTMs. Barring the super bling camo 60, you'd prolly have the best D60 around.

j

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think Dynatrac is overrated. You could build axles for a lot cheaper. Is it 4k a set? What do the axles include exactly?

5. mud hungry

no it is $4K a single axle. I am just wondering what makes them that expensive and are they worth that price what they come with is a long line of parts that it is easier for you to follow the Link and see for your self.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I can say this from experiance. .... Complete watse of money in my opinion. Just buy a regular used low pinion d60 with 456s in there already,and tear it up. Find a buddy here on ck5 in your area ,and persuade him to up-grade it as necessary . :) Just my 02 :) That way you have XXX amount more to buy things for your truck :)

7. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

geez.
    for that amount of money ...does it it come with a girl ??? :confused:

8. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

That's a lot of dough, especially for a balljoint 60. Your paying for a name.
    Travis

9. mud hungry

Thanks that is what I wanted to know. So comparatively what should a 14ff and D60 cost apiece and what would it cost it build them up to virtual industructability (wow big word) ;). And to make sure is it a 1ton D60 and a 3/4ton 14ff that will bolt-in directly? and if not what are some of the changes. Thanks

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have read alot about dynatrac axles. i would love to have a pair. they are VERY stout hevy duty axles. they are much stronger then a standerd d60 axle. they are more for compitition rock cralling in my openion though, mainly because of there price. kinda that unabtanium thing where there priced for the thick wallet people. there is alot of machine work in one of there axles, and held to tighter tollerences then your production axles cause there custom made to order axles. i personly feel they are the best on the market, but do most need axles like that. obviusly not. a good old d60 built with some upgrades is more then enough for probably 99 % of the wheelers out there. i will never buy a dynatrac axle simply for the fact that i am too poor to ever afford one.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would never buy a thing from Dynacrap. Who the hell only puts three bolts on the disc brake brackets? I've seen numerous threads of people that lost rear brakes cause their Dynatrac brackets ripped right off the axle!

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I paid 1k for my combo and could have bolted them right in but I tore them down and cleaned and painted checked bearings and replaced seals. Including the torque wrench I bought, open carrier for 14FF and a set of gears I have spent about $350 more. However I still have lockers front and rear to do later on so that is about $800 right there. Almost forgot I still have to do disk brakes on the rear so add about $200-300 for that. So it is concievable to spend $4000 on axles but then again it is something you did yourself and it is for a set not just 1.

13. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

ok fine so the disc bracket sucks, the axle still rocks. i still am to poor to buy one but if i could that small probably fixable problem would not deture me.

14. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Absolute ripoff, theres a reason there known as Dynarape.

Listen to Jekbrown, you can build a kickass axle for $4000. And last I checked it was more like $7000 for a locked front 60 from dynarape. That 4000 price must have been a bone stock bare bones 60. For what you pay you don't get all that much at all with them.

Heck for 8 grand you could go to Exaxt and get some freshly rebuilt unimog U1300's or 416's with pinion conversions and disc brakes and have change left over!

15. mud hungry

I think I will stick with just the D60 and 14ff. I am sure there are plenty off threads in here about how to beef up the both of them so I won't ask that question. But What is the difference between low and high pinion and in which applications would you use them in?

16. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Ford is the only one that had the hi pinon 60. Chevy and dodge used the low pinion 60

17. mud hungry

and what are the differences for the High to low. Does the high have more clearence or is it just a styling difference.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

high pinion refers to an axle with the pinion located above the axle centerline. This puts the pinion, up and out of danger(not totally but more so than low pinion, and makes for less steep driveshaft angles(pinion is closer in height to the tcase).

Low pinion refers to an axle with the pinion below the centerline.... I don't know the advantages, I have a High Pinion :D

19. mud hungry

Now can you only get a High Pinioned Ford D60 for the front and if you can is it a direct bolt in or are there mods that need to be done. If there are mods what are they

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only driver side Ford units came like that from the factory. So you need a new transfer case to put them in. They will bolt to your leaf springs(spring pads are so close that they are interchangable.