Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dyno'd and tuned the K5 today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 30, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dyno\'d and tuned the K5 today.

My 406 has been running a little lean and running funny lately so I decided that it was time for me to stop screwing with it and take it to the pros. What could it hurt anyway?Right! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The hi performance shop put my K5 on their $75K dyno and hooked up the sniffer...163HP and 230 ft.lbs. I know I know I was like /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They timed the motor and did a total advance...only had about 22 degrees total so they recurved the distributer and tuned the carb. Ran it again on the dyno and the numbers jumped to 215.3HP and 296.2 ft.lbs. I was /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. The air/fuel ratio was right at about 13.2 to 13.5 across the rpm range and he said thats just about right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He also said with it being a 4x4, big tires, 4.10 gears, and an automatic...I was probably losing close to 35% power by the time it got to the rear wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It was really cool watching them dyno my K5 because they floored it right off of idle all the way up to 5,000RPM with the headers and dual flows screaming. Got a nice little puff of black smoke out both tailpipes as it climbed into the 3,500RPM + range.

Just sharing that it was a pretty cool experience and would recommend having it done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I almost never let anyone else touch my K5 like most of us think but I have to admit, their computer diagnostic equipment really makes it nice and most importantly there is no guessing involved and you know it's right. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Dyno\'d and tuned the K5 today.

So how much was the bill on something like that? May be something I want to look into. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

It actually wasn't all that bad in my opinion considering the time it took and the amount of expensive equipment that was involved. I payed $167.18 and that included the 17 dollar dist recurve kit. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It actually wasn't all that bad in my opinion considering the time it took and the amount of expensive equipment that was involved. I payed $167.18 and that included the 17 dollar dist recurve kit. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now post up the name and phone number of the place, so the rest of the NorCal boyz can do it too!!!

I'm almost afraid to know what my 4.10s/38.5s would do..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. rjfguitar

Performance dyno tuning
    441 S. Fourth Ave Ste B
    Oakdale CA 95361
    209-845-9790
    BAR# AL225038

Give 'em a call and ask for Steve, he has a nice 85K5 himself! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Couple of years ago, I played around w/ some Dyno data. IIRC, the end result was about a 25% loss of Hp thru the drive train of a 4x4 - and about 15% reduction in Torque.

So this would put your flywheel #'s about:
    287 Hp
    350 lb-ft Torque

What were the rpm's at those peaks?

Marv

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

damn im thinking about takin my truck to a dyno shop.. only problem is, i have no idea where to start lookin for one now...

So you could tell a fairly large improvement when you drove away from the shop compared to when you drove into the shop?

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It cost me $125 on the dyno for an hour. They charged a flat rate even if they worked on it for you. Parts were extra. They didn't do anything to my truck other than swap my secondary hanger for a G hanger instead of the K hanger I was running. I brought my own parts.

I can't remember the numbers except it was 190hp@5600rpm. That was back when I had no lift and 2.73s. I ran my snow tires (235x75r15s) there. I suspect with my horrible driveline angles and the bigger rubber it puts down in the 150hp range. Which, really isn't that bad since that's still more than my 305 used to put out at the crank.

But yeah, from what I gather, they'll do all sorts of cool stuff for you. Your best bet is to bring a bunch of spare parts (like carburetor parts and distributor recurve kit) and your credit card.

Too bad that company is now defunct, I'd like to try them out again with the next motor.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

So you could tell a fairly large improvement when you drove away from the shop compared to when you drove into the shop?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes!

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Damn its only like 75 for 3 pulls with tuning down here. But if there is going to be a lot of you NorCal guys going Just get everyone to pitch in and Rent the dyno for the day it should be anywhere from 300ish to 500ish but thats down here idk how much it would be up and over there. I have to get my blue truck dyno'd i want to know how much power im losing and that damn Perfomance Q jet is a bitch to tune so im going to get them to do it and i might as well get my 4x4 dyno'd with it.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn its only like 75 for 3 pulls with tuning down here.

[/ QUOTE ]They charge $100 for 3 pulls and that includes them making as many adjustments they can make in an hour. The dyno they use has an accuracy of a 1/2 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Was it an inertia chassis dyno or a brake dyno. Inertia is a big ass wheel that the vehicle gets rollen. Brake dynos use water or generators for the resistance.

13. rjfguitar

inertia dyno

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How hard was it to get a time scheduled with the guy? Does he do any weekend work?.......

I don't have much going on this weekend, and if I could get an appointment for tomorrow I'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've got a complete Q-Jet tuning kit (jets, metering rods, etc) that I bought for like $100 from Summit. I also have the extra tuning goodies for my MSD Billet Distributor (those little anodized washers, and springs).... I'll bet someone with a dyno and an A/F gauge could work wonders on my junk.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's dirt cheap for HP. The Supra crew use toi have Dyno days a few times a year. I have seen a car pull in and gain over 130hp in a hour with some tuning. I stood next to a 3 liter car as it put 600hp to the back wheels.....It's really cool to be standing next to a car that's wide open and has the back tires showing 130mph on the speedo.

MAN blow off valves are loud as hell with a open hood and 5,500 RPM shifts. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    That's dirt cheap for HP. The Supra crew use toi have Dyno days a few times a year. I have seen a car pull in and gain over 130hp in a hour with some tuning. I stood next to a 3 liter car as it put 600hp to the back wheels.....It's really cool to be standing next to a car that's wide open and has the back tires showing 130mph on the speedo.

MAN blow off valves are loud as hell with a open hood and 5,500 RPM shifts. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I agree, it's was awesome watching him punch it hard with my K5 and hear it come alive and roar up to 5,000RPMs with the boggers spinning and singing! It was crazy watching my boggers shoot up to 75mph in a couple of seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    How hard was it to get a time scheduled with the guy? Does he do any weekend work?.......

I don't have much going on this weekend, and if I could get an appointment for tomorrow I'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've got a complete Q-Jet tuning kit (jets, metering rods, etc) that I bought for like $100 from Summit. I also have the extra tuning goodies for my MSD Billet Distributor (those little anodized washers, and springs).... I'll bet someone with a dyno and an A/F gauge could work wonders on my junk.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I called yesterday looking to get it tuned and he scheduled me for 8:30 this morning, he wasn't to busy today. I don't know if they are open tommorrow or not, give them a call. I think they are.

I could meet you there because I would love to meet you Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it behind 1/4 inch thick steel.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

WHAT?ill have to bring my truck down there,after your guy does the trans.....and before everything else......sound good,oh,why did you change your pic????hp /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Oh damn, for under $200 I am all over that. I'm gonna be giving those guys a call on Monday!