Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dynomat or thermo tec for headliner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mini_mull, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing my headliner asap, and wanted to add some kind of heat reflectant or insulator to hopefully lessen the "oven effect" of hot AZ sun. I am looking at products from dynomat and thermo tec right now, but am open to all suggestions. Anyone used dynomat extreme for heat, not just noise (on floor or roof)? Anyone used anything to reflect heat from roof in between headliner and roof? Anyone used thermo-guard fr by thermo tec for any applic? I've been searching old posts for about 3 hours and have found a lot of info about noise control with these type products, but not much about heat reflection or insulation. Please help. Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Never used Dynamat (or it's derivatives) for Thermal Reflection of heat.....just the more conventional damping of vibration.

My #1 concern would be that you choose the correct one for a roof application....the adhesives need to be stronger to hold the matting upside down.

I have used the ThermoTec sheet from Summit for an under-carpet installation. It works awesome (as well it should for what it costs!) perhaps there's a way to apply your own super-strong adhesive to it??

:thinking:

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Greg, which thermo tec product, the really expensive aluminized heat barrier? That one is pricey, but the cool it or thermo guard aren't as much, but I'm not sure how well they'd reflect the heat, or if I can mount any of them on the roof. I'm doing a burb, so whatever I get I'll need a lot of, I'm willing to spend some dough, but only if I'm sure the benefits are worth it. This is the family DD, and by summer we'll have a newborn and a 4 year old, so anything to make them more comfortable with 110 degree days is worth it.

BTW, does anyone know off hand how many square feet it would take to cover everything above the headliner on a burb?

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Just talked to a tech at Thermo Tec, he recommended the double sided Thermo-guard FR, and their high-temp adhesive to stick it to the roof. It has a foil heat barrier on both sides and a layer of sound/vibration dampening stuff in between. Plus it's also almost 1/3 the price of Dynomat Extreme. I would still love to hear from anyone that has used Dynomat Extreme or Thermo-guard FR, and how it did reflecting heat. And anyone who's tried anything as a heat barrier above their headliner or anywhere on the interior. Thanks.