Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dynomat waterproof?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if or have experience with Dynomat or the equivalent being waterproof? I wondering about the self adhesive kind. I have some stuck on the inside of my roof but that was a couple years ago and was wondering if it's still stuck to the roof if it would stick to the underside of the truck and hold up against water.

Thanks

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have some inside my doors and some of it came loose last winter. Not waterproof AFAIK, and I would think especially poor adhesion on the underside. There's a product called Quiet Car (AKA Quiet Coat) that will do better than dynamat on the underside. http://www.quietcoat.com/

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Interesting....know anybody that has used it personally?

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Why do you want it on the underside of the truck?

According to their site (http://www.dynamat.com/technical_technical.html), the product is water resistant....not water proof. I would think you would be better off using a spray on sound deadener or even spray on bedliner material.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I wanted to line the tub on the inside with bedliner but if you do that you can't put a sound deadoner on underneath that. Also the bedliner doesn't really do that much for sound deadoning from what i've ben told. However, I haven't explored spray on sound deadoners yet either. Maybe the stuff metioned above and then some bedliner on top of that......

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive got three layers of dynamat extreme on the floor of my crew cab,,, inside the doors.. up the back wall,,,, it isnt waterproof but water would have a hard time permeating the layers of oil based material...
    as to liner... look at www.rattleguard.com....
    Ive used this before on tubs and it works great and is waterproof and can be built to nearly any thickness within reason.. Im mean like 1/4 inch or so... and it makes stuff quiet...
    I would have shot the interiro of the crew but it was too hard to shoot and mask off everything in a dd truck

cam

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I believe that you can put bedliner over QuietCar. I'm going to do what you're thinking about - I already have Line-x in the bed, and I bought QuietCar a while back. Going to put it on the underside of the truck bed and under some decking that I have. Just because I can.

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I called them today and they said you can put bedliner on top of the Quietcar.