Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DYNOMAX EXHAUST INSTALL!!! SUCKED!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Oct 13, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I installed the dual exhaust kit and headers from dynomax today. All I've got to say is, "IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS!!" My K5 must be half '88 and half '89. the pipes that run under between the headers and mufflers did not line up at all. i made them work, but there are a couple places the pipes hit the frame or crossmember. the pipes that run over my rear axle were fine, though.

the headers weren't that bad to install. on the passenger side i had to remove the lower bumpstop that would hit the differential. other than that, they weren't bad at all.

i still think it was worth the effort, though. it sounds pretty good. i haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, but i noticed that when i would rev it up in park, that the engine was making the body, and chasis move more than before. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rick

P.S. anybody interested in a factory Y-pipe, AIR exhaust manifolds, and a catalytic converter, and glass pack. $100 for everything. plus shipping of course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have installed 3 kits no issues.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Out of curiosity, what type of Dynomax mufflers did you use (Turbo II, Ultra flow, etc...).

4. rick88blaze

i used cherry bomb turbos. they have the exact dimensions as the dynomax ones the kit recommends using.

I think my K5 is in it's own dimension anyway. i had to get a new driveshaft done up just for a 2 1/2" lift kit. and i had to lower my t-case for the lift. everything i've done on mine has been twice as hard as i think is should have been. it's like my truck was a test vehicle for new parts.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

it's like my truck was a test vehicle for new parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that feeling....

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it's like my truck was a test vehicle for new parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I thought it was just me......

7. rick88blaze

SUBFAN & fad2blk99;

I'm glad you two posted those remarks, b/c I was feeling kind of lonely, thinking that I had the only truck they put test parts on!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I wish it was hard to work on my truck. My truck is easy to work on. Too bad that once you fix the small things that were going wrong, something really big and bad happens. Like I finally got it running, the clutch releases correctly, turn signals work, etc. and the front axle joint replaced and took it out and rolled it the first weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh well...who needs a nice looking body on the truck. It's highly overrated. Right along there with balanced tires.

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Rick,

Let me know after you do your test run if you notice a lot more power or not, I am really considering putting headers on my Jimmy. I also heard they create a lot of heat and cause your engine to run a bit hotter. Would you post an update? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They don't create any heat, your engine is where the heat comes from and it won't make any more from having headers on it.

Headers can increase your underhood temperature, but I doubt you'd ever notice.

An engine that breathes better most likely will cool better, but I can't say that's a total fact. I have never had a heat problem with my headers, although they're coated.

11. rick88blaze

Jeff,

i haven't really had a chance to open it up yet, but around the base here, i've noticed that i don't have a hesitation off of the line anymore. my engine runs the same temperature, it's just a bit louder when i romp on it now. I LIKE IT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So what was your total cost? I need to look at installing new exhaust myself (I'd love to go dual and get rid of that LOW Y Pipe).

14. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I guess I would be interested in the price too. I have thought of buying a pipe bender ($200 bucks) and make them, but if the cost was around $300, not including the headers, I would be interested.
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ranger: When you care enough to send the very best.

15. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    So what was your total cost? I need to look at installing new exhaust myself (I'd love to go dual and get rid of that LOW Y Pipe).

[/ QUOTE ]

it's $115 for the dual exhaust
    $160 for AIR headers
    $110 for reg. headers
    $60 for 2 cherry bomb turbos from autozone
    about $10 in extra clamps and stuff

rick

16. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So where did you find those prices on exhaust kit and headers?

17. rick88blaze

www.jegs.com that's where i orderd the exhaust and headers from.

18. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

19. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I just got my Jegs catalog in the mail today - gonna have to get em to send me another one cause this one is shot - missing the cover and is coming apart. Maybe the USPS workers had to use it or something /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I got my eye on the coated headers for $229.00, lifetime warranty, but I wanna make sure they work w/ AIR and have an O2 hole. From looking at the catalog, it appears that I will have to call someone at JEGS and see if they can find out.

Dnyomax Cerama Coated Headers

I downloaded the Dynomax PDF, and it looks like they dont have the Ceramic Coated headers w/ AIR for any 4WD GM Truck up to 91, so I might have to settle for the Black painted ones. Anyone know different? I'll still call JEGS and see if they have the coated Dynomax w/ AIR that will work on my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Dadgummit! It sure seems like $80 more than the black painted headers is a deal for a lifetime warranty and better heat characteristics. From what I've read, it would cost me almost that to wrap the headers.

20. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I've been running those headers for about 3 yrs no without any rust problems. They don't have the air hook ups or the o2. I was able to go without the air because we don't have inspections here, but had to get a bung welded on for o2. Jeg's has that part to.