Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dynomax Exhaust Installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, May 8, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I'm fixing to install the dyno-max headers, dual kit, and dual flowmasters. Does anyone have any tips suggestions or things to look out for? I'm going to take pics of the system when i get done, I've seen several post asking for pictures.

James

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you haven't taken off the old system yet make sure to soak all the nuts&bolts with WD40, PB Blaster etc for a couple of days. And while installing the new system make sure to tuck to pipes and mufflers up above the framerails as much as possible so as to increase ground clearance and decrease exhaust pipe damage when you get high-centered.

3. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

After you get the passenger side manifold off, now is a good time to wrap any wires that are going to be close to the headers with heat insulating material. The header surface temperature is going to be a lot hotter than the surface of the manifold. This is a lot easier than trying this after the headers are installed. Also, if you have A/C you probably need to fab up a spacer to make up the difference in widths between the header flange and the manifold you just removed. The easiest for me, was to take a half-inch thick-wall nipple and cut the threads off to the proper spacer length. Be sure to take the time to remove the spark plugs too, they can break off pretty easy when your wrestling the manifolds out.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i second the suggestion on wrapping the wires that go to the starter/alternator, those dynomax headers are real thin, i ran just a little lean one day and burned up 5 plug wires and all the wires that go to the starter...nothing was touching, just dumps a lot more head than the manifolds....so i wrapped them all and havent had a problem since

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Do we have the same compressor Kevin. I called the company before i ordered to find out if there was any brackets or stuff like that needed and they said none was needed. I got the Ceramacote Headers so hopefully they will cut down on the heat (supposed to at least). Thanks Again

James

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you're still running the stock headers and all the stuff, make sure you clean well those sheetmetal spark plug proctectors. They can be a pain to remove if you can't see them well because of the crud. It was about the only time consuming part when I replaced mine in my 350.

7. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I've got the long-style A/C compressor. I opted not to install a rear bracket for it. All the header manufacturer's make a type of bracket to go with headers, but I felt the mounting was sturdy enough without it. The front of the compressor is mounted to the power steering bracket, which is mounted to the driver's side head. You will need to make a spacer to re-mount the power steering bracket to compensate for the missing thickness of the O.E. manifold.