Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dynomax Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, May 19, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I needed to put a new exhaust system on my k5 so I started looking around for something I liked. I have a dual 2.5 setup on my 71 truck and I love it, so i figured i would try to do something like that with my k5. Looked around and only found two options. The Dynomax Kit which was 110 and another one that was stainless that was about 400. Knowing that i would want headers in the future i went ahead and got them. I choose the dynomax coated headers and their dual kit for their cost and warranty. A local shop was out of the question because I'm doing away with my cat's until i can afford some high flow one's so no one will touch it. I called the tech line at Dynomax to find out what headers i needed because the listing in JEGs didn't include a 91 but i knew that the trucks were the same in 87. So i call to make sure of what header i needed, when i talked to the guy he assured me that they would fit a 91K5 4x4 with no problems. I get my parts in and bring the blazer to the shop to have the headers put on (Lack of time or i would have done it myself) Go to pick it up that afternoon after work and the guy says that they are the wrong header's for my truck. Now i'm starting to get hacked. So i start talking to him and he said that he was able to get them to fit but he had to remove the bump stop for the diff. housing. This isn't a problem for me becuase there isn't anything in my area high enough to make my truck need that much flex. So i bring the truck home and begin to put the dual kit on it. THE PIPES DON'T FIT!!!! the passenger side works fine but there is no way in hell that the drivers side will fit. Now i must wait till moday so i can get a shop to modify or make me a new pipe that will fit. This experience with dynomax has turned me off to there products for good. What is the use of having a tech staff if they don't know what they are talking about. I know i have read about many people putting this product on and not having any problems but i am having hell with it. So be warned the dynomax dual kits are not all that and a bag of chips.

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm not surprised. A couple months ago I was in the same situation. I went with a Hooker header and pipe kit because I couldn't be guaranteed that the Dynomax kits would fit. If I remember correctly, the Dynomax (maybe it was someone else like Flowtech?) kit had the cheesy flexible pipe up by the collectors so that kind of ruled them out.

My Hooker headers (along with every header I've seen) required me to remove the bump stop. I also ended up putting a 45° fitting on a sensor that goes next to the oil filter (I can't remember which sensor it was) to put some more space between the primary tubes and the sensor. My shift linkage is really close to the headers as well. Bracketry for my AC/PS wasn't simple and I didn't need that retarded bracket they want to sell you for $20.

My driver's side pipe fit fine but the passenger side is right next to the transfer case and frame (3/4" gap). Plus, the idiots at Summit let me order short mufflers when the stupid pipe kit needed long mufflers (22" neighborhood).

It seems that these places' tech support is a bunch of idiots that never turned a wrench in their life. I'm not happy with Hooker because their directions are shoddy and didn't come with all the hangers I needed. Plus, that passenger side pipe wasn't quite right. It seems like you either have to have a brand spanking new pickup or be a ricer to get any attention or quality.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep I have learned my lesson with these so-called "bolt-on kits" None of them ever work right. The only ones I have seen go on effortessly are the mainstream muscle car kits(ie Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang etc)

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I do like Hooker headers, but I've never had one of those bolt up kits fit like they claim. I always have a shop bend up some pipes for me. Usely they don't have a problem with that. They just don't want to cut the cat off becouse of leagle reasons. Most will sell you the custom bent pipes you can take home and put on yourself. Some shops will even put them on for ya.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The problem with a lot of those bolt on header/exhaust kits is that Everyone thinks that K5s are the same as the trucks. But there not. The frames are different in the late model 87-91 K5s than the trucks and the truck kits wont fit. And those clowns that call themselvs "Techs" dont have a clue there is a difference.
    You have to get one made just for K5s only and there are only a few manufactures that make them. Edelbrock, Thorley are the ones I know of. But I think they are all single exhaust because of the Cat convertor and smog issues.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never messed with one of the aftermarket dual exhaust kits. However, I bought the Flowmaster cat-back kit for my wife's '94 Suburban and it fit perfectly. I had it installed in about an hour. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The thing is the pipes were supposed to be for a blazer.

James

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I put the same set in my truck. I know blazer/truck not same, but the headers were fine. You're right about the pipes though. My passinger side looks great. I'd allready lowered the t-case one inch and was able to dent the pipe slightly to make it clear. No way it would have fit without the t-case. lowered

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I got the truck back this evening from the shop from it getting the pipe fixed. So now my adventure turned nightmare is over, I hope. Funny thing is this started as a do it myself and i ended up doing very little. Oh well hopefully i will have some pics up soon.

James

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the kits on both of my trucks--the header kit on my 4x4 and the manifold kit on my 2-by.

These kits are the greatest thing. Cheap, EASY to install yourself, and well worth the money.

I don't know what you're smoking, but I had no problems with my kits. I put the manifold dual kit on my C30 last Friday with a Flowmaster H pipe and it sounds sweet.