Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

e-bay hesitance?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 7, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

There's something I "want" to buy thats on e-bay, if the price doesnt skyrocket.

However, I've never actually bought anything on e-bay, especially a whole vehicle over 1000 miles away.

If you wanted the rig without seeing it in person on e-bay... and you couldn't get down to pick it up for 1.5 months... dont even have the full amount of money to pay for it right now (but will by the time of being able to pick it up), and had never bought anything on e-bay before, what would you do?

Stay safe and forget it?

Take a risk and bid on it?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run a carfax and make sure that you want it. E-mail the seller and make sure that it can be stored (sit) until you pick it up.

I sold one on eBay that wasn't picked up for a month. No problem - the guy paid me a deposit and the balance at pickup.

I have bought three over the internet/phone (1 on eBay, two from Autotrader) and done well on all three.

Good luck!

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

See if you can find a member nearby to check it out for you.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would look at the sellers feedback and how long they have been a member and judge according as to if you want to trust them. If you feel you can trust them then hit the "ask seller a question" button and explain to them your situation that you live xxxx miles away and could be there in 1 1/2 mos to pick it up, and will they hold it until then if you make a deposit. I am selling my old pile on ebay and I would hold it for several months if the buyer made a $100 deposit, and I would set up a definate time for the buyer to pick up the truck by or he/she will forfiet the deposit and the truck is still mine.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Also make sure you talk to them directly at length. You should be able to get a fair idea of their character based on your line of questioning and the answers they give. Ask direct questions, listen closely for any BS.

Feedback - as Divorced mentioned is a good indicator.

Quality of the pictures, auction description. Did they leave out the bad stuff or gloss it over? anything they forgot to mention?

Clear title, no liens.

Make sure it fits your time and budget, don't overly extend yourself no matter how bad you want it. Expect problems and adapt.

There are good and bad people on eBay, just like any other walk of life. You'll have to decide which is which.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your problem is that most auto auctions on Ebay required full payment pretty quickly after the auction ends. If thats the case I know I wouldn't make an allowance for you over someone else who was going to pay me now. Well I would but I know you, I mean some random person on Ebay who wanted to pay me next month.

7. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

i bought my truck off ebay last summer and figured the best way to go about it was this: go in person(so you make sure youre not paying for junk) and pay only after youve seen it and are sure thats what you want. We live in tennessee and bought an 84 GMC 454 in arizona. flew out with a money order, checked it out and decided to buy it. the drive back was great bar the flat tire outside little rock.

i just reread your post and i wouldnt buy it unless you had the cash in your hand and the vehicle in front of you. but thts just me

good luck,
    jake

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

car fax suck for history. it only works for the people that report to there insurance companys. and thay put in history. lots of hack jobs out there now and thay are ( clean ) form car fax. and older vehicles are less likly to show up history. just find some one to look at it and talk to them on phone .

i have always belived good things come to those who wait. and if its ment for you it will come to you.

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

There is a lot of good advice here already, and the two things I'll reiterate are as follows:

1) Feedback Feedback Feedback! Read ALL of the seller's feedback!

2) Have them send you 100 pictures and call them to talk in person. If they don't want to talk to you in person, PASS!!!

There are a lot of good honest sellers on ebay, and there are a lot of lowlifes trying to unload their POS's too. I've never bought a vehicle from ebay, but I have bought two vehicles in the $6-$7,000 range sight unseen from across the country through online ads and email pictures. Both times the car was exactly what the seller advertised it to be and there were no surprises, but I was under no obligation to buy the car once I got there like you would be with ebay...

Personally, if this is a major purchase, I would NOT buy from ebay unless you can see the vehicle in person first. I know others will disagree with me, but it's a big chance to take. I think some of the major car dealers who have a good reputation on ebay might be safe, but otherwise I'd pass if it was too far to go see in person first.

Whatever you do, good luck!!!

Paul

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A guy I work with has been burn buying cars from across the country on Ebay, but he didnt have anyone check it out in person then paid to have it shipped after paying for the car in full... Not much he was able to do to get any resolution.

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

NO... allan... do not buy it...

1)dont borrow from the future... you dont know what might happen down the road and where you might need to allocate resources

2)dont buy it unless you have money to burn if it isnt what you want

tell the rest of us what you want and let us find whats right for you
    I bought my crewcab from out of state... flew in the next day and paid full price for it.... in hindsight I probably could have bargained a little... but I wanted it and was willing to pay for a v3500 with 36k original miles on it

Remember when i asked you to go look at the disc brake stuff blackbirds was selling.... well until you did I wasnt going to buy it...but because you put eyes on it and told me he was legit I was more comfortable

if its that important get a member to go by... even if you have to pay someone... better to lose 50.00 in gas than all the money in a vehicle that doesnt meet your expectations

I have bought many things off ebay ... never a vehicle...
    I have one friend that just bought a "cherry, near mint", tojo fj40 off ebay... when he got it,,, even with pics and descriptions and talking to the owner many times the vehicle arrived and wasnt exactly "cherry, near mint"..... he renegotiated and was lucky enough to get 3k back on a 11k deal... I would consider that nearly impossible once the deal was done....

we all know where those 60s are... what do you want?

cam