Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-Brake Alternatives??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Sep 7, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Going to be doing the disk brake covnversion on a 14bff. How many of you dont run an e-brake at all? I have an auto trans, and would prefer some kind of e-brake, but the caddy calipers are more $$ than the 3/4ton calipers, but mostly, I hear that they are a pain in the @ss to get the e-brake to work properly. If you dont have the factory e-brake, what do you use, if anything. Any one have any experience, bad or good? Thanks!

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Good post, I was going to ask the same thing but I think I'll just watch the replies to yours :)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I've seen pics of e-brakes that were on the driveshaft of a Toy.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=6&amp;t=008132> driveshaft mounted e-brake </a>

4. SolidAxleDurango

SolidAxleDurango Newbie

I've got a D60 with discs and no proper EBrake. I had my fav 4x4 shop install a MicoLok on my rears.

Apply brakes, pull lever and then hydraulic pressure is locked in the lines. It has a low pressure warning system that will sound the horn if pressure is lost for any reason.

It works great. You can't drive away on purpose with this thing.

HOWEVER... It wont satisfy DOT requirements for a parking brake and it's not meant to be used for long periods of time - i.e. over night or even a few hours. It's a great trail accessory, especially when you need to park on a steep hill and don't wanna be pressed up against your auto tranny's parking pin..

If I where you I'd find a disc brake parking assembly - the cheapest on you can find and use it just to keep DOT off your back. For something you can rely on when wheelin' get one of these.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

So can one of those be used on anything? Is that like the one Jesse at High Angle is making? Those look pretty cool! I wonder how well they work?

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

TSM sells an e-brake that mounts to the rear yoke. I think thats what Im gonna do once my 14bolt goes in.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Do you know how much it costs or where any pics of it are at?

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Call TSM for a catalog. Another option is a line lock, like what they use on drag cars. Its pretty cheap too.

9. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Re: E-Brake Alternatives?? (TSM wepbage)

TSM has a webpage :) <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tsmmfg.com/>http://www.tsmmfg.com/</a>
    I think there are pics there.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

A 396 BB chained to the bumper. That'll hold her.

<font color=purple>Hi, I'm </font color=purple><font color=blue>Twiztid.</font color=blue><font color=purple> How do you like me so-far?</font color=purple>

11. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

What about 2 rocks... one in front, and one behind. You could attach them to a rope that you could lower and raise from the drivers seat. Would that satisfy the DOT requirements??? [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A line lock is the cheapest way to go. but you will need to find a manual one. Most of the ones used in drag racing are electric and they would run your battery down. You may be able to find a manual one at a heavy equipment or truck parts house. They work good you just apply the brakes and twist a lever and they are locked. Turn the lever the other way and they release.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thunder, thats not a bad idea (not good, but not bad eaither [​IMG])
    Could double as a anti-theft device too.

<font color=purple>Hi, I'm </font color=purple><font color=blue>Twiztid.</font color=blue><font color=purple> How do you like me so-far?</font color=purple>

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Those do work great - just always remember to push the pedal[​IMG] I neglected that step once in an old Ford fire engine - as I was getting out I realized it was starting to roll down the road, and my suspenders were hung up in the door(!) Thankfully it only rolled a few feet before it hit a curb and stopped, without doing any damage to the truck, or anything else.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I did the Line lock with one that was a latching switch. step on brake pedal and push button. would stay locked until you pushed it again. I wired it direct so it would work with the truck on or off. It was made by a company named Hole Shot.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com&gt;www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com&lt;/a&gt;
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Pugs "Doh...Ohhh...Ahh!!!" (LOL)

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That was about it!! I also tried to kill a telephone pole with that same old museum piece[​IMG] This truck was great - you didn't figure out the shortest way to get to a call, you figured out the one with the fewest stops, cause after 4 or 5 stops, that thing didn't have brake one - you just dropped it into first and prayed.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>