Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E brake cable removal from 12 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Oct 16, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I am swapping my 10 bolt for a 12 bolt tomorrow. I have everything taken off except the brake lines and the emergency brake cable. It looks like the brake lines just come off with a wrench but what about the e brake cables? do I have to take the outer part of the drum off and disconnect them inside? if so, how to I get that off? once the wheel if off it seems semi loose but do I need a puller or is there some trick? thanks for your help.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do I have to take the outer part of the drum off and disconnect them inside?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'm not really sure what you mean by that. If you're asking whether the drum has to come off, then the answer is yes. It should just pull off once the wheel/tire is removed. If it's stuck and doesn't pull off by hand, you can persuade it with a hammer and block of wood. And, if it's REALLY stuck, you can go in through the access hole in the backing plate with a screwdriver and turn the star adjuster to release the shoes from the drums.

To disconnect the cable (if it's the same way as my 10 bolt and 14 bolt), you should just have to push the cable towards the back of the vehicle and up while you keep the lever arm in the same place. You won't be able to do this by hand and will have to use a hammer, screwdriver, etc. Once the cable-end is off the lever, the cable can be pulled through the backing plate by depressing the little tangs on the press-in bracket. The tangs are on the inside of the backing plate and the cable is pulled out of the drum towards the driveshaft for lack of a better description.

Make sense? Man, I really suck at answering some questions. It's so easy to get in there and do it, but explaining it is more difficult than doing it sometimes.

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Once the brackets are off of the e-brake cables, and there still on the backing plate. You can slide a box end wrench over the cable to press the tangs on the retainer and the cable will slide right out.
    I think its a 1/2" wrench that will work.