Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-brake Cable Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Late last night, I started my axle swap. Got everything off the rear and it is sitting on the floor except I did not remove the e-brake cables from the backing plates of the drums. I got tired and gave up trying to figure it out. Will I have to completely remove the brake assembly to get the cable off or is there a trick that I am unaware of. Sorry if this has been covered but I could not find any specific info on this from my search. Any help is appreciated.

2. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

You have to pull the drums, and unhook the cables from the shoes, and there is a clip just inside the backing plate that you have to squeeze with pliers to get the cable out of the backing plate. Hope this helps /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I have the drums off, no problem. The second part is where I got bogged down. To unhook the cables from the shoes, I am going to have to remove the shoes to gain access to the springs, right? Then all I will need to do is pinch the clip on the inside of the backing plate and remove the cable?

Thanks for the post,
    Lance

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

To remove the cable from the backing plate I found it was easy if you use a 13mm 1/2" drive 12 point socket and slide it over the cable and it will depress all 3 clips and you just pull on the cable and BINGO it comes right out.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Are you going from 10 bolt to 14 bolt? Right? Your gonna need to do some mod's in order to get the parking brake cable from your truck to connect to the 14 bolt if you have the 14 bolt that has the even length (both side's same as one another) cables. As yout 90 like mine is not a center pull style. The passenger side is longer, which comes all the way over to the driverside to the attachment where you can adjust the cable. If you have the center pull style cable on the 14 bolt let me know and I will try and type you up a brief description of this very simple and free mod. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Ftn96,

The axle I just bought is the center pull style. Can I use the e-brake cable off my 10 blt and put it in the 14 blt. If I could get a copy of that write-up I'd apreciate it.

Thanks
    Charles.

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

dito here. My 14 bolt had the center pull but my truck was the off the side pull 10 bolt rear. Thanks

8. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I have a 14 bolt out in the barn from an older model....I beleive it was center pull also...let me know how you get it worked out because i'm putting mine in next week /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif