Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-brake cables for Caddie calipers 14FF disc swap???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74kay5, Sep 19, 2006.

1. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

OK, I know this has been done and everyone knows most of the info on how to go about it, but the description seems to end at the caliper and nobody can tell me how to mount the parking brake cables. I know everyones cables are routed different but what kind of brackets do people normally use? And where do they mount the brackets that go closest to the caliper? I went back to the junkyard to find the 78 Eldorado that I took the calipers off of and it was gone. I can getto rig something, but if I'm going to all the trouble to use these calipers that are suposed to be tempermental to use I might as well have them be functunal. Does anybody have pictures of disc swaps with e-brake brackets??? I did a search online and couldn't find anything.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The e-brake cables are going to be custom. Every vehicle is different and how the owner routes their cables. The cables will have to be made, stock cables will not work.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Stock cables can work, Jimmy88 did it on his.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know MY stock cables will not work on my 75

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

in auto tech i made a little bracket, it has a hole on the top to bolt to the original hole and a hole about 3" lower and the brake cable goes trough there. i made both out of a scrap angle iron!

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. We HAVE to have the E/parking brake in CA and I haven't found the last steps either.

I'm considering a transfer case mounted brake but you have to dump the slip yoke:mad:

It's easy, ya just need $$$$:doah::haha:

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've had my caddy calipers on the rear of my burb for close to 5 yrs now. With having to have a custom cable made up, it isn't very high on the priority list as Oregon doesn't require it.

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i use mine alot because its standard!!LOL

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We are working with a company right now to offer the cables made specifically for this conversion. I'll need them on my rig too as I am going away from the t-case e-brake route. I hope to have a set to show off in the next couple weeks.

Also, you can fab the mount for the cable easily from some angle iron.

Would a cable/mount kit be something folks would be interested in? We are also going to be adding the cables and mounts to our e-brake kit. The cost will go up to cover the parts, but it will literally be a COMPLETE bolt on e-brake kit in a box.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

pm'ing you shane

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You have one cable going down each side? His is an 88 so it has the cables that run down the driver side then one goes over the pumpkin to the passenger side. I will try to get in touch with him and see if he can chime in here. If I remember correctly it was not the best set up but it did work enough to pass Pa state inspection.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have one cable that runs from one wheel, up to the tcase and wraps around to the other wheel. 1 solid cable. It is hooked to the pedal cable at the tcase via a clamp thingy (yeah i know, great terminology lol )

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Would it include the levers/arms too? I'd be interested in a set like that. I have the caddy calipers (minus the levers), but they're not installed yet. A spring & levers, and cable mount kit would be awsome, if the price was kept reasonable. otherwise, I'd stick to fashioning something myself, as would many others I would assume.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shane, if you had a kit for a Burb, I would buy one.

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Here's mine.
    [​IMG]
    I had http://www.inlinetube.com make a set of SS cables. They'll make anything, just tell them what ends you want and the length. (Ie, brake end is 1978 Eldorado rear caliper, front is 1973 K5 Blazer, length is xx")
    Great company to work with, very friendly, fast and excellent quality cables.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How expensive were they?

17. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well,that was a drawback, but here in the rustbelt, it's a no-brainer.
    The SS ones are about $90/cable individually.Three required, plus the plain equalizer cable and little associated clips and hardware..
    Whole set, with everything needed was $330. Only $30 more for the custom work than a 'production' cable they have.

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

All of our calipers come with the springs/levers/pads on them already. We are just looking at adding the e-brake cables necessary to hook them up to the stock linkages.

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We are looking at all different configurations we'd need to make as GM had at least 4 that I know of between the years. Also, they need to accomodate the different amounts of lift. Sometimes it's hard to find that 1 size fits MOST that works well.

We will probably sell the cables separately for those that have already done this conversion and need/want stock type cables.

20. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Any pics of the mounts people have made? that's mainly what I'm interested in