Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-Brake cables - swapping from 12 bolt to 10 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Mar 12, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

We just finally got around to installing the 10 bolt axle in my son's 77 K5 (the 3/4 ton axles didn't work out like we'd hoped). So, the 10 bolt has the late model cross-over e-brake cables and the truck is rigged for the older parallel cables that cross further up.

Question is, what is the best way to fix the e-brakes? Haven't looked at them yet, but will the 12 bolt e-brakes transfer to the 10 bolt backing plates? Or would I be better off to convert the truck to the later style e-brakes (I've got most of the parts). I'm hoping I can just swap the cable stubs at the backing plate because I would really like to use the 10 bolt cables to fix the e-brakes on my 1 ton K5...

Sorry for the newbie question but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to interchange on late model (as in 10 bolt) half ton stuff...

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

They should interchange both ways. You can also bolt you 12 bolt stuff on the 10 and vice versa. Same backing plate.

Hope it helps.

John

3. BadDog

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditto on what John said. 10 and 12 bolts share the same stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you need some more I have spare 12 bolt cables at home from a 73 pickup still attached to complete brakes. I put all my 10 bolt everything on my 12 bolt, actually we unbolted my brakes from axle and slid new axle under without even cracking open a brakeline /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Then it was just a matter of putting on backing plate bolts and brakelines under axle tabs.

6. BadDog

Thanks, but looks like I've got all I need. But that reminds me, I need to replace the rear section of hard line since the nut got chewed up.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Rear brake hardline? I got both sides off the 12 bolt. Their yours if you need em. Should be same as 10 bolt since my 10 bolt lines fit the 12 bolt tube like a glove. Same fittings too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What didn't work out about the 3/4 tons?

9. BadDog

Paul:
    Thanks for the offer, but the messed up line is on the body side of the rubber line. Had to resort to vice grips to get it apart. No big deal though, like $5 at that parts store, and I'm getting new flex line anyway.

Tim:
    The 3/4 tons were supposed to be 4.10s and we got a great deal on them, but there were some issues. With the front there was a twisted off stud on the knuckle, external hubs, and the remains of a welded (scabbed) on booty fab truss. Then the rear turned out to have severe drum/brake damage needing a complete rebuild. And no inexpensive disk brake conversions, I'm a stickler for e-brakes that work. On top of that, my son's got nearly new 33 MTs on 15" 6 lugs. It was a close call to start with, but for 4.10s and 3/4s he was going to bite the bullet and eat the expense. That was before we found out they were 3.73s... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Just not worth it to fool with them at that point...