Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-brake lever for El Dorado caliper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 16, 2002.

I've got a 90 K5 and I came across a 14 bolt full floater that I'm rebuilding with a disk brake conversion. I bought the 76-78 El Dorado calipers from Napa (OUCH!!) but they came without the lever and spring mechanism for the emergency brake. Besides a scrap yard, where can I find the e-brake parts for the calipers, preferably new /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the only place you can find the ebrake lever and spring is from the junkyard.

Purchase a complete caliper(s) at a salvage yard, strip the neccesay components, and turn them in to recover the core charge.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've compared them to 79-85 calipers, the e-brakes aren't interchangeable. You MIGHT want to ask a GM dealer if they can get them. Really doubt it, but you never know. Barring that, some type of Cadillac restoring company? (catalog, etc)

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Try your GM Parts dealer - that's where I got mine. I'm fortunate to have a good one here where the guys will help find stuff.

Part numbers? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    L&R E-Brake Levers: 18060644, 18060645
    Return Springs: 18060030

No guarantees that these will work for you, but the levers fit my calipers. I haven't attached the springs yet, as I don't yet have the cables, so don't know if it will work for sure. BTW, I paid about $18 for each lever and about $20 for each spring. Can't figure why the spring is more... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Hope this helps,

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thank you for that info!

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Glad to help, m j. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Take care,

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

My local cadillac dealer had mine. A little unknown fact about cadillac is they make and stock service parts for 20years! Federal law requires, and most brands (including all other GM brands) only stock for 10years. I bought the return springs, and levers for them. I believed they had those calipers until 1979....so you should be able to find them somewhere...

BlazerMan

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Required, but enforced?

Last I checked (2001 or prior) GM had already discontinued the rear window seal for the hard top's on our K5's. Maybe part number has/had changed, but I tried looking up the number for it from my '86 parts manual, and it came up as disoc'ed. Quite a few parts at the time weren't available anymore, and should have still been in stock. (It was all seals for the slider windows, topper, and doors/tail gate)

Heck, its only 2002, and they probably made over a million K5's, you'd *think* if GM actually cared for their customers, (and I believe they don't anymore) they'd still stock all of this stuff....they are only outside that 10 year window by 1 year. But I guess the first time I got an AC Delco "replacement" part with "made in taiwan" on the box, I should have figured it out.

8. Thanks 502Burb! I was hoping someone could come up with some part #'s /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'll check with my local dealer and see if they can order them for me.

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

10. By the way, are these the only parts I need (besides the cable) to get the e-brake to work? If more parts are needed could you please post the part #'s as well. TIA!

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's probably not enforced too well, but I've had good luck. I bought tailgate & door hinges, a rear gate seal, rear gate latches, rear seat material and a few other small parts....all within the past year, all were ordered. I had most of the part numbers from my '73 book and an '88 book. They do change those numbers alot, mabey you just had a bum dealer who didn't want to hit F9(well, it was A key, mabey not F9, but just one keystroke and he had a whole history for a particular number) and look up subsequent part numbers..
    What I really counldn't beleive was the cadillac dealer looking up and then ordering those caliper parts and having them show up the following week!

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Glad to help. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Those were the only parts that I can recall needing. My calipers came with the rubber washers/seals that go on the e-brake lever shaft, so didn't need those.

I did need to get some nuts to hold the levers on the shafts, but they were just your standard staked locking nuts and I picked them up at the local hardware store.

Good luck,