Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-Brake Light + Terrible Brakes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_blasto, Apr 3, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this is the right forum or if this should be in the garage, but...

I have been driving my '72 K5 around a bit after it had been sitting for about 5 months. In the time it was sitting I performed a 1 inch body lift, 4" springs in the front, and a shackle flip in the rear. I also went from stock tires to 35" tires. I extended the brake lines, but not the e-brake cable (which is pretty tight. Before I did all this work, everything was functioning fine.

Now, the brake pedal is quite stiff. It feels like it is a car without power brakes. I have to be sooo careful when driving both around town and on the freeway because it takes a long ways to come to a stop. I had it checked out by a reputable brake shop before moving to SLC, UT, with it. They said my brake system is fine and I don't need to replace anything. The guy agreed though that it feels like maybe the brake booster (or whatever that piece is that connects to the master cylinder) could be dying. He also said that the stiff braking could lessen with time.

As I mentioned it takes a long distance to brake. The other day I was driving and I had two close calls where I was pressing on the brake pedal as hard as a 150 pound guy can. After the second time I did that my e-brake light came on and has stayed on ever since. I have avoided driving it since then, other than driving it around the block.

This is my dd and I really want it to be working in proper order ASAP. How do I fix my two problems?

Problem 1, poor braking: Replace the booster? Get rear disks (I really don't have the money for this right now)? Or is this just the way life goes with 35" tires? Anything else to check on?

Problem 2, e-brake light: Where is the switch for this light and how is it activated? Are my rear brakes dragging because something is hung up? Am I still ok to drive around with the light on? Anything to check out specifically?

I just moved and I no longer have access to my dad's tools, but I do have a limited set of tools myself. Please help me out, I am new to all this and need a little direction. Thanks in advance.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

how far is the pedel going on the floor? is it not traveling much or is it going down very hard and still not brakeing?

try pulling the vac. line off the booster, it should just pull out and you should hear air getting sucked in. If not it might not be good

3. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

The pedal gets progressively stiffer as you push it down farther. I am not a big guy so I can't push it down terribly far - my best comparison is comparing it to a car without power brakes, but even that is a whole lot easier than this. I'll try to check that vaccum line out.