Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-brake on 02 burb - smoke or mirrors:

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by homemadesin, Jun 6, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I just had my 02 burb 1500 in the shop for 30k and 36k service, $700 later, I'm out the door. My driveway is at a 10-15 degree or so incline, where it is normally parked. The e-brake goes to the floor (no ratcheting and smooth like usual), but when I go to move the car, I take the e-brake off and switch out of Park, I get a "kaching", like the tranny is the only thing holding it in place. I test it and it is the only thing holding the car in place. WTF? I call the dealership, figuring I'd get a line of crap. I'm told that GM changed their e-brake set-up with 2000& up trucks and use a smaller drum system outside the rear discs in conjunction with the tranny to hold the vehicle in place. He said that it barely holds the car in place on level ground. What kind of BS is this? He also said it takes only a block or two to smoke the "drum" brake if left on (there are enough lights and alarms that only an idiot would leave one on).

What's the story?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Here's the scoop.

Get yourself another dealer !
    Or atleast another service advisor, who ever told you that - is not intouch with current service procedures.
    I'm shocked and ashamed. I work in a dealership and pride myself on the fact that it is NOT an "easy" job, the job is ever-changeing, being up-dated and/or changed complettly through out the year, as-well as year to year.

K - enough of that....

The parking brake is a "drum-in-hat" system. Meaning, the parking brake drum is inside of the disk-brake rotor.

The parking brake/s may have worn out prematurly.
    On the 1/2 tons - the parking brake shoe is a large, single piece U-shaped assembly. It is allowed to "rock" back and forth freely. This rocking action allows the shoe to lightly drag on the drum while in motion, causeing the the shoe to wear out sooner than expected.

There is an up-dated retaining spring that is included with the a new set of parking brake shoes, which prevent the shoe from rocking as freely as the first design.
    This IS a well know problem with the 1/2 tons and WE have had no problem covering the parts and labor under warranty (3/36).

One question,
    Are you sure this is a "New problem"?
    Or is it, your paying much closer attention to you suburban now - after the services have been done?
    (Becarefull not to jump to conclusions)

3. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I can't say for sure as to when it started. I would expect after dropping 700 on the 30 and 36k check-up it would've been checked.

I never did like the feel of the e-brake, but I never heard the "ching" like after the service. I have a serious issue with a 6000lb vehicle held in place by the tranny most of the time, especially of this type)

If it is something outside the service, then so be it. But I have been given BS from dealers too often (no offense to you). I don't mind paying top dollar for top service, but rarely have I felt I've gotten. When I bought the vehicle, I spoke with the mgr afterhours for a while and felt good about it. They indicated that it wasn't the best deal for them, but I told them I would do the service with them. And thru 36k miles, I've kept my word (Mobil 1 and all). No more.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would expect after dropping 700 on the 30 and 36k check-up it would've been checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortuetly not.

Bring it up to the service managers attention, the parking brake complaint. Tell him, exactly what you've said here. He should take care of it - no questions asked ! It is, after all, in his and the dealers, best intrest to make sure you are happy the your Suburban.

The parking brake, as stated above, is a "low effort" system - it feels "odd", but should hold the truck on a incline.

If they try to charge you for the service - I'd b!tch about it- in a kind and even tempered manner. Assumeing your knocking the door somewhere around 3/36K.