Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E-lek-trick-ul type people...what'd I do to my battery charger?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Feb 25, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I inherited this battery charger from my Grandpa. I'm guessing it's from at least the 80's. Charges batteries and you can jump a car with it but I have never been able to figure out the gauge, I think it's not working correctly. Never seems to read correctly or even move sometimes.

Anyways, I charged up my Tracker's drained battery and then decided to see if the battery in the parts Tracker was still good. I set it right down next to my good battery and hooked up the charger...

...which is where I screwed up...

...the parts Tracker had a non-Tracker spec battery in it and the posts are a different configuration. So when I just moved the clips over to the "parts" battery I wasn't thinking and just put the one on the left on the left and the right the right. Which means I reversed the cables and had the positive on the negative and vice versa.

I heard a pop from the charger and saw a little spark at the clips and that was it. The charger appears to be dead right now. No hum of life or movement of the gauge when I turn it on.

It says it's circuit breaker protected...so where is the circuit breaker?

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=55795.0;attach=52871;image

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=55795.0;attach=52873;image

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=55795.0;attach=52875;image

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well... that battery's toast... heh i did the same thing a couple weeks ago... charger still works great... try the charger again on a diff battery...

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the CB should be the little black box next to the big black box, the transformer. should be heat activated, once it cools down it should work again.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

don't zap yourself. pad.

j

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yeah, like he said.:D i was using my neighbors a few years ago and dropped it from my core support.:eek1: that guage never worked again either.:doah:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

U-blu - It

You might have popped the "Reverse current protection diode" in the charger,IF it even has one..sometimes the rectifier blows instead (its the dewhickey with fins on it that converts AC to DC)..or it could be the circuit breaker popped,and won't re-set now--worst case scenario would be the transformer burnt out...if you can find these parts they aren't too costly,but they aren't something that Radio Shack would have in stock most likely..

I bought a big "roll around" charger on wheels,like a gas station would have,for 25 bucks at an auction..it worked at first,but only on a few of the lower amp settings..I discovered 2 switches were not making contact all the time,and the rectifier was on its way out,it looked like it was bubbled up!..I did find a place that sold the parts (It was a "Century" brand)--but it costed me about 50 bucks by the time the stuff was shipped to me!..I sold it for 75 bucks shortly thereafter to my friend..it still works fine!..:crazy:

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Thanks guys. Been busy with school and removing 2' of snow after work so I haven't messed with it since Sunday. It's still sitting on the freezer in peices.