Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"E" rated tires required?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BranndonC, Feb 4, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

\"E\" rated tires required?

contomplating my next tires for the burb already and i like the BFG AT for a DD but i dont think its "E" rated. So how important is load rating for a burb towing a k5?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Re: \"E\" rated tires required?

Depends on the tongue weight added to the weight of the truck bobtail (no trailer). If the two don't exceed the weight rating of the tires you want to use run with it if you need to. I do believe more is better when you consider the dollar value of the cargo, your lives and possibly the lives of other uninvolved people for the slight extra cost of te E rated tires. I run Perrelli Norsmans on my truck, very pleased with the wear and handling considering the loads I put them through.

John

PS. Branndon, I haven't forgot about you, the plate and all my steel goodies are stored outdoors and either frozen to the ground or under about 2 feet of snow.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks john. I'm not worried about it, i know you'll get around to in sooner or later, no hurry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just check the actual weight rating on the tire. Some "D" rated tires can carry more than some "E" rated tires.

I would definately look for at least a "D". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with John. Check the actual load rating (D vs E is usually real, real, close) The biggest difference is sidewall bulge at full load and wander at full load. An E rated tire will handle a little better in those situations. If you won't be maxing out the tire I would not worry about running D's.
    Just my .02

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I run 33" D rated Bridgestone Duelers on my HD and it does fine up to 15k+ as far as handling goes. Never noticed the tires getting hotter than one would expect with ambient around 110 or so.

7. chevyracing

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with John. Check the actual load rating (D vs E is usually real, real, close) The biggest difference is sidewall bulge at full load and wander at full load. An E rated tire will handle a little better in those situations. If you won't be maxing out the tire I would not worry about running D's.
    Just my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think about the sidewall bulge, good point. On my dually under a load they are close for sure. I have to keep them aired up to 80 PSI to have a comfort zone.

John

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My E rated Michlins have around 50k on them and still have another 3ok left. The deal with them costing more is BS. They cost less over the long run because they don't wear nearly as fast a a C rated tire that is near at weight max.

For the record a Burb is 8600lb GVWR a D is more then enough unless roug going over that.

9. chevyracing

[ QUOTE ]
    The deal with them costing more is BS

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that is harsh...... What I was getting at is when you buy them you will pay more...(hence, more expensive).. and you will unless you find a deal.

John