Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E4OD tranny question

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by thezentree, Feb 9, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

any of yall out there have an F-150 4x4? a friend of mine just got a '94 and we took it out on the beach the other day. we spent probably 2 hours out there, just messin around (and being good 'wheelers - we cleaned it up a little). anyway, we never really wheeled hard at all. on the way back out, he stopped cause he smelled something, and he thought it was maybe an exhaust leak. nope, ATF on the hot exhaust. it was spewing out of the front seal and out of that little rubber seal thing on the bottom. is this normal? another friend's dad is a tranny guy, we called him and he said that these trannies do that when they overheat, cause the front seal is weak. but 6 quarts?! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ford trannies, especially the AOD and E4OD seem to enjoy puking front pump seals..

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

and the 4r100, Ford transmissons are almost as bad as chrystler motors.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Once the seal is fried it will continue to puke until it gets fixed. I have rebuilt/replaced the E4OD several times before I got it right. Not a great tranny but can be upgraded if you spend some $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Once the seal is fried it will continue to puke until it gets fixed. I have rebuilt/replaced the E4OD several times before I got it right. Not a great tranny but can be upgraded if you spend some $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Ford had a problem with torque converters with these. I had to change a few when i wrenched their. Torque converter would shudder and shake. It would wear out the seal.

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"Torque converter would shudder and shake. It would wear out the seal. "

NOt to mention come apart and sound like a handfull of bolts rolling around in it.