Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

E85 fuel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by driney, Apr 29, 2005.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We finally have someone selling E85 fuel around here. I did a little research and came to the conclusion it's not practical to convert our older vehicles to burn it. Am I wrong? I would love to be able to support the farmers by using more ethanol, but don't want to make my daily driver unreliable. I also need to keep the ability to burn regular fuel for traveling.

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Interesting. First I have heard of this. Research time. So how much does it cost compared to regular gas?

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Around here it is 1.75, but I understand the mileage is worse so I don't know what the true cost would be.

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

I think california or some western states had 85% for a while. I dont have any info on conversions. Ethanol has less BTUs and that causes it to give the lesser mpgs.

The latest argument is using ethanol really environmentally friendly. Because it takes a lot more energy to convert corn to ethanol. So are we really helping the environment?

Something that is a neat swap are the car and truck conversions that use deep fry grease.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

E85 is here and its 1.60 some a gal

cant run it cept in a few brand new vehicles called flex fuel vehicles

its not gasoline

we are workingon trying to get an ethanol plant to build locally on north end of town, but the residents out there are fricking wusses and complain about it,
    if those few residents out there complaining ruin this for the city and county then ill be pissed !
    it would be bullcrap! need good jobs and a company to come here, this damn place will never grow if they keep turning donw every place that wants to coem here and build and make new jobs
    it will always be 15 thousand population and thats it, like it always has been,..,

good luck

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

not quite brand new, Ford and Chrysler have been selling Flex Fuel vehicles for over 10 years

7. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

E85 fuel is getting quite popular over here..most older vehicles can be converted easy , you basicly have to increase the amount of fuel by 30%..

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You could convert just about anything to run E85, but on older vehicles that requires making carb and timimg adjustments which just aren't practical to do if ever need the ability to fill up with regular gas on a trip. The newer vehicles have enough computer controls/adjustments to automatically compensate for the difference.

Also as mentioned, E85 doesn't have the same BTU's as regular gas and therefore will give you less MPG and power.........so even if it's cheaper per gallon, you really won't save much because the mileage will decrease.