Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eagle crankshaft ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatbob, Jan 13, 2006.

1. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I need a new crankshaft, and this is the best deal I've found. Does anyone know if this is a decent name brand, or if there are any better deals out there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]ESP-104003750

$189.95
    Estimated Ship Date: Today
    [​IMG] [​IMG]ApplicationSuggested Parts Show All[​IMG] Brand:Eagle Specialty Products, Inc.Product Line:Eagle Cast Steel CrankshaftsRear Main Seal Style:2-pieceEngine Stroke (in):3.750Crankshaft Material:Cast steelEngine Balance:ExternalLightened:No
    Requires Narrow Bearings:No
    Rod Bearings Included:No
    Main Bearings Included:No
    Crossdrilled Mains:No
    Rod Journal Diameter (in):2.100
    Main Journal Diameter (in):2.650
    Balancer Bolt Thread Size:7/16-20 in.
    Crankshaft Snout Style:Standard
    Quantity:Sold individually.
    Crankshaft, 2-Piece Seal,
    External Balance, Cast Steel, Standard Snout, Small Block Chevy, Each
    Cranks you can rely on and afford.
    If you need a crankshaft that's dependable, but don't want to empty your bank account, Eagle Specialty Products has the solution. These cast steel crankshafts for Chevy feature .092 radii on rod, main journals, rear seal, and snout for increased strength. Crankshafts for Ford have .125 radii on all rod and main journals. Each crank is inspected for dimension, size, and stronke accuracy, has a journal finish of 6 R.A. or less, and has a target bobweight of +/- 2-percent for reduced balancing time.

Thanks
    Bob

2. hero

hero Registered Member

Yes Eagle is a good brand name. They are used in race engines all the time.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've heard stories about the Eagle cranks breaking. I have personally used the Scat cranks before with no troubles and have heard they are much better than the Eagle cranks. Don't take my opinion though without researching it. This is just my personal experience.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

From what I have "heard" both scat and eagle cranks are made in Korea and I have heard of people having trouble with them (way out of balance, not straight, etc.). I went with a forged 400 crank that had already been turned down that I found locally for about what that crank costs. Now, given that, there are probably more people that run Eagle and Scat cranks than anything else so they can't fail very often.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My crank is a cast Eagle single piece rear main 383 crank. Balanced up just fine, no problems with it what soever. I'd bet the "not straight" thing is people improperly storing them somewhere along the shipping line.

Haven't even completed the engine yet so I can't say if it will break, but I'll let everyone know if it does.

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

For a daily driver an Eagle would be fine. If your right foot gets heavy and your RPMs get high spend the extra money. I have had them in my mustangs and have had OK luck but went to a better crank and could definetely be harder on them.

7. 1977k5

Forgot to mention that the only other reasonable option you have is to find an old 400 crank and have it turned down. Companies like Lunati make 3.75" stroke cranks but they are like $1500 :eek1:.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heard horror stories about them and replacement issues too. Enough so I'm not sure I'd deal with them.

9. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I chose scat, even though they are basically same design, the knife edged counterweights is what sold me.

10. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Scat makes their stuff in California.

11. 4X4HIGH

If you're talking about a factory 400 chevy crank with the mains machined down .200" to fit the 350 block i've got news for you. GM never made a forged 400 crank so someone must have told you a story when they sold it to you. Not trying to be a prick, just saying that you were lied to if that is what someone told you.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What you highlighted does not say it is a factory 400 crank just that it is forged.

Ira

13. 4X4HIGH

The part that says "had already been turned down" That leads me to believe he is talking about a factory GM crank since you have to "turn the mains down" in order for it to fit a 350 block. It is entirely possible that i misunderstood what he meant. Maybe he meant that it was all machined and ready to install but that's not how i interpreted it.

14. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Well I have a 400 sbc with a crank that cannot be turned down anymore. The rod bearings are already at 40 over/under. I found a local seller with another 400sbc for sale, but he's kinda shy and wont get back to me. And even if I got another used one, it would still prob. need turned down= MORE money into a used one. This would cost $199 to my door, which isn't too bad if the quality is ok.
    A local speed shop said they could get the Scat crank for $179+tax+shipping=$250. But no one has come up with a link to a better priced one.
    The feedback seems to indicate that the Eagle crank may be pretty decent, of course there are better ones, and everybody has their favorites. But I haven't seen any links to a better deals, so if this bashful local seller dont get back to me by tomorrow, I'll probably order it one.
    Thanks guys

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a local shop is going to charge you shipping??? f that. Tax I get, but I have never heard of a shop charging shipping to an in store customer... If it weren't for that I would say get the SCAT crank from them.

16. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Look in ebay. Thats where I got mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...QcategoryZ33616QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

17. 1977k5

When I was sold the crank I was not told that it was forged. When I had the rotating assembly balanced the balance sheet said crankshaft type: Forged. That's where I got that. Is it possible that it could be a Pontiac crank (from a Trans Am, for example) and that only the Chevy cranks had to be cast (I have no idea if Pontiac and Chevy cranks interchange)? It really doesn't matter to me anyway, I don't need a forged crank or anything.

18. 4X4HIGH

Pontiac cranks are different than a chevy crank. Like you said, really doesn't matter anyhow but i was just making a statement about the whole forged 400 crank and assuming that it was supposed to be a factory 400.

19. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Now ya got me looking on EBAY:eek1: :eek1: . I like the security of buying from Jegs or Summit, and I'm a bit scared of gettin screwed on Ebay. But this one does fit my budget better.
    Anyone heard of this brand?

" name=input_bin>
    [​IMG]Time left: 22 mins 26 secs
    10-day listing, Ends Jan-14-06 18:49:33 PSTStart time: Jan-04-06 18:49:33 PSTQuantity: 3 available History:Item location: Indianola, Iowa 50125
    United StatesShips to: United StatesShipping costs: US $25.00 -- UPS Ground
    Positive Feedback: 99.9%
    Member since Dec-15-00 in United States[​IMG][​IMG]Read feedback comments[​IMG][​IMG]Add to Favorite Sellers[​IMG][​IMG]Ask seller a question[​IMG][​IMG]View seller's other items[​IMG]Store view | List view[​IMG][​IMG]Visit this seller's eBay Sto
    Call Direct 515-961-6109||

New Cast Crank Chevy Small Block 400 sb sbc Crankshaft

Item Details:
    Part #: CK529
    Brand: Cat Power
    Condition: Brand new and in the box, first line product.

This auction is for a brand new 80-60-06 nodular cast iron crank made by CAT Power. It is brand new and in the box, first line product!
    It fits small block Chevrolet 400 engines.
    It is an externally balanced crank designed for 5.7" or longer connecting rods and weighs approximately 52 pounds. It has a 3.750" stock stroke with stock rod (2.100") and main (2.649") journal diameters and requires stock style rod and main bearings in standard size like the CB663P and MS1038P Clevite 77 P series bearings you can find in my other auctions. Click here for bearings.
    It is pre-balanced to stock OEM factory 400 specs and is ready to install straight out of the box when you are using stock weight rods and pistons. Re-balancing is recommended for any high performance and high RPM applications.
    Crank Features:
    • Made from 80-60-06 nodular cast iron
    • Stronger than stock OEM cast cranks
    • Precision ground and micro polished
    • Chamfered oil holes for improved oiling
    • Horsepower rating: To 450 HP
    • RPM Rating: to 6500 RPM
    Great for your daily driver, RV, tow vehicle, street machine, strip drag racing and circle dirt track racing like the IMCA, NASCAR, UMP and Wissota dirt track classes.

20. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=esp103503750&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=32&y=8

how bout summit racing or jegs? low shipping, no gimmicks! any problems you can send the stuff back, try that on ebay:doah: i have bought speed parts on ebay but mostly from the two mentioned. from summit alone i have spent probably $50,000 and 100% satisfaction:D just my 2 cents!

edit sh%t sorry i didn't click the link you had to summit!