Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Eaglescouts: come on down!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

today I had a rather shocking though hit me in the head like a rather shocking brick... I'll be having my 10th year anneversary for getting my Eagle scout later this year... thats one heck of a long time ago by most terms... ( I was 13 at the time... ) how many more of you are Eaglescouts? for that matter, how many of you are still involved with the scouts? ( I've been an assistant scoutmaster for almost 5 years now, after a 2 year stint as a JASM)

just a random question, and whatnot.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got disinterested after Life cause all my friends turned 18 and couldn't be in anymore. I also got my first serious girlfriend around 16 (only serious because she was nuts and my first real "relationship"!!), and she absorbed all my time, so I kinda dropped out of my troop then.

I had a good run, though. Managed to see half the country through Boy Scouts and get lots of awards. I was a good patrol leader too! Most of our meetings got nothing done, but we all had a great time goofing off getting zero accomplished...

Rich, were you in OA? Did you ever go to a Jambo? I did the Jambo in VA, but I can't remember what year. It was the space theme I think. I remember someone getting some of the Air Force "Aim High" stickers and putting them up in the urinals at the latrine...

Ahh, the glory days...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I was in the OA&lt; but not really active in it... never made it to a jamboree, but did goto Beaver High Adventure base in Utah, which was a real kick: 1 week of backpacking through the valley, rapelling, mountainbiking, rock climbing, building wilderness survival huts, a 1/4 mile long zipline was one of the highlights... they'd strap you into this harness, give you a shove, and you'd be flying down this mountain about 10 feet off the ground at 40 or 50 MPH, before hitting the `brake cables' at the bottom ( a bunch of bungee's looped over the main cable to catch, and slow the harness before you become a greasy smear on the meadow).

been to camp Geronimo up in Payson AZ 7 years, and twice to Winn wilderness ( a camp our troop does to save money/have a different experience) as soon as I turned 18, they asked me to be an assistant scoutmaster, and I said yes.. since then, I've been warping the youth of tomorrow into my own twisted immage... or something like that. apparently, I'm about the only one the scouts look up to, and listen to, as reported by thier parents which is cool...

oh well, `nuff of that,

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got my eagle in '93 so I guess I'm approaching my 10 year anniversary too. I was 15 at the time.

Went to the 1993 National Jamboree in Fort AP Hill

Went to the 1991 World Jamboree in Mt. Sorak, Korea as Senior Patrol Leader.

Did Philmont once in the summer and once in the winter on cross country skis pulling sleds. Pretty cool both times.

What I really miss is the once a month campouts. I'm lucky to get away once every 6 months now, maybe that can change when i get out of school...

Got up to Brotherhood in the OA but wasn't really super active. Did the trail cuttings usually and was on the Indian Dance team. Sometimes I filled in for ceremonies, usually as one of the braves. But there were tons that were more involved than me. Around the time I was 16 and got my first 4x4, I began to lose interest in scouts. Someday I'll get back in, probably when I have kids and they need a positive activity in their life...

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, i am working at camp orr in Arkansas this summer as the rock climbing director. It'll be my first return to scouts in 6 or 7 years. I think it'll be fun. My wife is going to be the trail to first class director. Always wanted to work at camp, but never got the chance since I always had to work a real job during the summer. This is my last chance before I get out of school, so i'm really looking forward to it.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I definately miss the monthly campouts. I haven't been camping in at least 5 years. I've been telling my wife I want to go again soon, but it's too much of a hassle right now with a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

I think the Fort AP Hill was the one I went to. For some reason I kept thinking it was '89, though. Man, that stuff feels soooo long ago. We did so much cool stuff.

Ratch
    CK5 album

7. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

I didn't get to eagle, only star.
    My older brother did!
    I congratulate you on your endeavor to stay with it.

Thomas

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I did hardly any rank advancement, but i was patrol/troop leader/asst. leader for a long time. Misse dout on the trip to philmont, but all my friends went, and last year i went to florida seabase high adventure as a leader. * days of scuba, what more could you ask for? (besides women and good food...)

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

they did the national jambos and world jambos every 4 years. Let's go camping!!!

Sherman, Tx

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Here Here, got mine at 18. Brotherhood in the OA, Been to Philmont twice, 65 miles first time, 115 second round. Loved it, sending app in for job this summer, hopefully get to work there if they decide to pay a little.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I got mine in Jan of 1997, I was 16...I'm also in OA but my troop got me to lose interest in it. We were going through a scoutmaster each year. And the percentage is 1 in every 50 scouts achieves Eagle.... 2%.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just got my eagle in november of 2001. (i'm 17) i'm a JASM right now, and after i go to UTI, i'm gonna be an assistant scoutmaster, then i'm gonna be scoutmaster.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dang, i had no idea y'all were into it like me, i thought there were a few in it but wow! yall have done some stuff i haven't *yet* like philmont and beaver high adventure base and jambo.

i was on staff last year at camp dell webb high adventure base in so. UT, i was the rappelling instructor. a whole month without being inside a building, that was awesome, so i'm doing it again this year. yeah, it rocks, i go camping EVERY month![​IMG][​IMG]

mudboggad (adam) is in my troop, he's about to get his eagle real soon. i was the first eagle in my troop and family. my dad started our troop in oct. of 1998. we're the best troop in southern NV[​IMG], we KNOW that much, probably the whole state. we run scouting the way scouting was meant to be ran, like Baden Powell ran it. you all know who that is right?[​IMG] for the boys, by the boys.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i hear ya on having a good troop. Fortunately we have the best troop in the area, always lots of activities for the kids.
    my friends went to philmont in 98, they were the first crew to go in the troops 50 year history, since then weve been back twice, and have another crew going this summer, we've been to northern tier H.A. base twice, once for canoeing, once for hiking. Last year we went to florida seabase for the first time, and i thing they are going back next year. In addition, we also regularly do a local canoe race, which we finally just started to win after several years of losing....and a camping trip at least every weekend. I never really appreciated our troop till i saw some others.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

15. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

I was in the Scouts before the 60's, what is this quote called? &gt;
    "cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent"
    what is the Scouts rule?

I ain't stupid, finally old enough to know better.

77' k10 350 4sp &lt;cus i ordered it that way.

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

trustworthy
    loyal
    helpful
    friendly
    courteous
    kind
    obedient
    cheerful
    thrifty
    brave
    clean
    reverent

The 12 points of the scout law. Good memory though. I had to close my eyes and flash back to remember them all. :)

Sherman, Tx

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you forgot hungry... my scouts added that one to the law, although its generaly thier own fault. after 2 years of them slacking off, and not cooking, we went back to the roots, and made them cook thier own meals... when doing the Eagle board, I somehow Managed to forget `Cheerful' 3 times, before I got it right... a good chuckle was had by all, tho.

as I think about it, I've done 1 of each in scouting....

-70th anneversary camporee for Theodore roosevelt council, ( was absorbed into Grand canyon council shortly afterwords)
    -marched in the fiesta bowl parade with the Eagles,
    -joined OA,
    -Camp Staff at Geronimo (1993)
    -involved in a Scout induced forest fire (1993)
    -white water kaiaking (1993)
    -Beaver high adventure (1994)
    -JASM 1996-1997
    -ASM 1997-present

its nice to be in a position where I am required to go Camping once every month... all I have to do is wander into the boss's office and say ` I need to leave early friday to take the scouts camping' and its done. amonsgt the many places we've been in Arizona, some of the more memorable ones are:
    -Peppersauce caverns near Oracle Junction,
    -Tombstone: the town that wouldn't die
    -Jerome ghost town,
    -Snow tubing at `the gravel pits' in payson ( before they closed them down...)
    -Apache tear mines near Superior
    -Davis Monthan AFB mothball yard
    -Titan Missile Silo near Tucson
    -Rockey pointe Mexico for Eagle outing (although we did service projects down there, the main point of the trip was to buy illegal fireworks, and blow up a good chunk of mexico)
    -beaver Utah,
    -St george Utah ( drove through Colorado City... an odd experience to say the least)
    -mountainbiked the Apache Trail
    -Camp Winn in the White Mountains (looks like some potential good wheelin' to be had up there)
    -waterskiing on canyon lake,

etc... the only thing I would like for us to do more of is Wheelin' especialy since both the scoutmaster, and myself own giant 4WD capable vehicles of DOOM... ( his is a 91 suburban, with either a scarcraft, or some such of the like conversion done on it) perhaps I'll mention it at the next meeting, and see if I can't find a suitable backwoods campground to head off too... ( perhaps the one near Jerome that my father and I stayed at one summer... )

I thinks its time to make a trip up to Jerome, and Sedona again... really Purdey places, and fun to drive to/around... ( sedona has some wheelin' if I can find the trails ) and perhaps go see my friend Joe in flagstaff, and check out his `new' suburban ( 74/75 K20 with 35's)

perhaps we could have a scouting trail ride sometime? I know it might be hard to conceptualize for some people, but it'd have to be a dry run ( no alkeyhaul) and dry campout ( still no alkeyhaul) and perhaps invite our various troops out with us... for our troop, it'd be a good way to show how other troops work, ( we have a whoppin 6 boys left in our troop) or something...

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ddragggon on 01/18/02 11:23 AM.</FONT></P>

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Holeeeeeeeeeeey crap! I forgot about that!!

and "Be Prepared", but that one has stuck with me...

Ratch
    CK5 album

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Got mine last May. Went to Philmont and had lots of fun. Got it when I was 17, but stopped being real active when I was 15 or 16. I'm definately glad I got it though...my troop had lots of fun. We are troop 1001...laketex probably recognizes the number. We usually won Camporee, and everyone hated us...

90K5

20. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

That is it, I thought there was more to it; I just wanted to keep this thread alive.
    another quote that I can't quite get? &gt; what is the correct oath?
    "On my honor, to do my best, to do my duty, guard in my country, to obey the 12 points of the Scout laws"