Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Early Dodge 241 vs Early Chevy 241 t-case ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Mar 27, 2003.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Early Dodge 241 vs Early Chevy 241 t-case ?\'s

What are the differences between the early Dodge 241 (~’88-’93 passenger drop, fixed yoke) and the early Chevy 241 (’89 passenger drop, slip yoke, cable speedo)? I have the opportunity to pick up the Dodge case for cheap/free, and am wondering how hard it would be to mix and match parts to make a fixed yoke 241 Chevy. (I currently run the ’89 Chevy case.)

I have also heard that the Dodge case is clocked higher than the Chevy case. If this is true, could the Chevy input shaft be swapped into the Dodge case, for better clearance? (No, the Chevy adapter cannot be redrilled to clock the case higher.)

Also, it it possible to grind and extra detent into the sector (on either case) to allow for 2-Low? I seem to recall that it could be done to a 208-C, but I never tried it when I had mine.

Pete

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Early Dodge 241 vs Early Chevy 241 t-case ?\'s

Why would you want 2 low?

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

2-Low is real handy for trails and other low speed stuff that doesn't require the traction of 4 wheel drive. Its easier to steer around tight turns, easier on the terrain, and less stress on the drive train.

Pete

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

BTTT , I too have come across a cheap '88 Dodge 241 and would like to know the problems I may have in swapping this case into my GMC.

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Ive got 2low, hehe, just stick in 4low but dont have to lock the front dif in.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

so what's the verdict? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the differences between the early Dodge 241 (~’88-’93 passenger drop, fixed yoke) and the early Chevy 241 (’89 passenger drop, slip yoke, cable speedo)? I have the opportunity to pick up the Dodge case for cheap/free, and am wondering how hard it would be to mix and match parts to make a fixed yoke 241 Chevy. (I currently run the ’89 Chevy case.)

I have also heard that the Dodge case is clocked higher than the Chevy case. If this is true, could the Chevy input shaft be swapped into the Dodge case, for better clearance? (No, the Chevy adapter cannot be redrilled to clock the case higher.)

Also, it it possible to grind and extra detent into the sector (on either case) to allow for 2-Low? I seem to recall that it could be done to a 208-C, but I never tried it when I had mine.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that one, but I got a 208 and wanted a fixed yoke so I found a Ford driver side drop fixed yoke and tried to mix and macth but it's not gonna happen. But since both your Tcases are passenger drop, I see no problem, the only way to find out is to start tearing them down and comparing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that one, but I got a 208 and wanted a fixed yoke so I found a Ford driver side drop fixed yoke and tried to mix and macth but it's not gonna happen. But since both your Tcases are passenger drop, I see no problem, the only way to find out is to start tearing them down and comparing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As I hijack the thread...

What kind of problems did you run into? I want fixed yoke also and I was going to tear a pair apart but GM NP208s cost too much to be tearing apart in this neck of the woods. They throw Furd 208s off cliffs around here.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I used to know a guy that did this to his S10 pickup/K5 pile of junk. I don't know what he had to do to get it done but he did it. He also had access to a machine shop so it's hard to say how much work was involved. I'd ask him but he moved away and I haven't seen him or any of his heaps since.

I haven't seen the insides of a NP241 in a long time but I don't remember it being easy or perhaps even possible to turn it into twinstick/2low.