Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Early pictures of the almost finished K30 trail rig project *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueBlazer, Nov 23, 2003.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Enjoy guys and feel free to ask any questions or give any opinions you might have, I am pretty thick skinned so feel free to flame away.

K30 Pics

Edit: The cab will be painted the same color as the rims as will the interior if anybody is wondering about the strange color combination. Also, I plan to leave any sort of bed off and I will just have a toolbox and a fuel cell in the near future.

Update towards the bottom.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Early pictures of the almost finished K30 trail rig project

AWESOME!!! I was wishing someone would post pics someday of Hummer rims on a true dually K30. Gives ideas on buildups for others. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go UN-Dually!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Looking good Tyler! Now get that pile out on the trails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, an idea to help tuck the D70 bearing hub inboard more would be to add a pair of 1" wheel spacers as this will give the rear track the same width as the front along with the extra 1" of tucking the hubs back. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I've got a D70HD rear in the garage and what you did is exactly what I'm thinking along the lines of doing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BlueBlazer

Im not too worried about the hub, its strong enough to take a lot of abuse, but I will go with a small spacer if it seems like it will be necassary.

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Looks good, a lot better than what it did this summer when I was out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I finally got the tranny in my truck. Now if I can just finish putting everything else back together. I gotta make a trip to Peoria sometime soon I'll try and stop by with the Burb when I do.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good Tyler. Cant wait to see you behind the wheel again soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

that thing looks sweet--are you planning on running those tires--if so--i was running the mil rejects and had one retread. the retread was chunking alot before i gor rid of them---just giving you a heads up.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Looks nice, tyler. Looks like you still have a ways to go though. No bed? I could help you build a flatbed if you'd like...

11. BlueBlazer

What company did the retread?

12. BlueBlazer

Im not gonna put a bed on it. Im thinking about welding some thin steel to the frame rails so I can at least set stuff up there if I need to. My plan is to for now just run a toolbox, then next spring the 2nd phase will start with doubler (with 203 coming from Dan), dual triangulated 4 link rear with Sway-a-way coilovers, fuel cell, 42s of some sort with Hummer rims, and a good portion of the rear of the frame cut off as well as getting rid of the front inner and outer fenders. I hope to have all that done by spring but I will wheel it as is for awhile.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

To me it sounded when I first met you like this was gonna be the badass tow rig for the Rockwell'd K5. But with 42's and no bed? It sounds like you're going more wheeler and less of a work truck...Not that I can fault you, but did your focus take a turn in a different direction?

14. BlueBlazer

Yep, K5 (what is left of it) is getting scrapped and this will be my trail rig. Ill get a tow rig later or just drive this to and from the trail.

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Very cool then...I love it the way it is with the 37z...but I know you'll go bigger and badasser later on...right now it's just plain inspirational though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Mudzer

When is the projected finish date? Never? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That's my finished date! I can't wait to see that rig in action. Looks killer. I will bring plenty of spare 30 spline stubs, hubs and drive flanges! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Do you have spacers for your rearend? Layne has an extra set - him and Steve just ordered some killer steel ones made to order. I believe the set Layne has are aluminum and are 2.5" wide - just FYI.

17. BlueBlazer

No spacers needed, its a Dana 70.

18. Mudzer

Ahh, I didn't know that... Elaborate, please. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. BlueBlazer

WMS to WMS is 73" or so, just 3" narrower than the front if that. Soooo, no spacers needed.

20. BlueBlazer

Hey guys, if anyone is interested I got some updated pics for ya. They are here. Its now got Lock-rights front and rear, a 1410 rear driveline, and stock front shaft with 1350 end yoke and 1350 pinion yoke on the d60. Fuel tank is a 31 gallon K5 tank that I havent quite finished mounting yet. The spare also needs to be mounted. BTW, some of the paint hadnt dried yet, thus some of the paint is shiny and the paint that has dried is flat.