Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

early small block late model heads ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willy s wagon, Dec 8, 2002.

1. willy s wagon

willy s wagon Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI have an early small block,(66-67 small journal 327)w/10:1 flattops and small valve, small chamber heads,(1.72-1.30, 60cc's).I also have a set of late model heads(centerbolts)are these heads compatible w/ the early small blocks.I have an intake for the late model heads already, and the short block is fresh, or should I just find another set of heads. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you notch/redrill the center holes on the intake, it will fit on either heads /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Assuming they're TBI heads, they will have larger chambers and less power. If they're from a 305, the valves will be about the same size - only if they're 350 heads will they be larger.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes the heads will bolt up and work on the early engine. You said you have the intake manifold to match the later heads so you are good there, but you must use the guided rocker arms on the late model heads. The late model heads do not have the rectangular push rod holes to center the rocker arms like the early heads have.

4. willy s wagon

Thank you for your reply. The heads are off a 350 and I am actually trying to lower the compression ratio to avoid the pre-detonation (pinging) that I'm suffering from now.Lower power is no problem w/4:88 gears and a 465 trans. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. willy s wagon

Thank's again, I forgot to add, I do have the guided rockers.I didn't know about the difference between these and the early model ones. Thats why I come to this board for really technical questions! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif