Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Early vs late Power Locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Apr 26, 2006.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did they redesign the carrier between say 1965 and 1986?

I opened up the case that had the donor gears, and the P/L case looks different. Any ideas?

I hope those old a$$ gears can set up OK....Any thoughts?

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

There might be differences in the case casting but I think the real difference is in the side gears and the centering rings.
    I believe the case will fit what ever type internals as long as the side gears match up with the centering rings.
    Can you post up some pic's ?

Tom

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Dana Powrlok and Traclok are similar looking, but not the same, maybe you have one of each. You can tell by looking at the end of the cross pin in the carrier. Powerloks are vee shaped on one side of the cross shaft, Trak Loks are round. If you are just nabbing the R&P off one to put on the other, you should be fine. If you end up with any Power Lok 35 spline side gears, I'd be willing to take them off your hands.

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The only P/L's that look like T/L's are the ones that come in Dana 80's . The D60 on down T/L's are way different looking than P/L diff's . Those T/L's look very much like an open carrier that only have one cross pin and two pinion gears and are a one piece design.

Tom

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Both have the 4 cross shafts, but the 4.10 geared one is square on the end, like the one in my Dana 60....The one from the donor axle is ridged on the end, much like a castle nut, if that makes any sense....

I can't use the more 'normal looking' one, because of the carrier break. I will try and get pics when this chunk of iron makes it home....

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have an open two piece carrier.
    The P/L will have long bolts that hold the case halves together and the open case will have shorter bolts that are in the lower parts of the castle top.
    Look real close at the ends of the cross shafts like MOFUGLY13 described - the open case will be round at all ends and the P/L will be round on one side and than have a "V" shape a 180* out on each shaft end.
    Pictures will tell all if there is any doubts.

HTH's Tom

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Will try and get pics tomorrow....