Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EARLY vs. LATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Jun 18, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Do you guys think early model blazers and jiimies are better then later models?? I mean from like 73-81 or 82 vs. 82-91. The earlier models seem to be tougher then the late. I haven t seen a lot of late model blazers and jiimies built for hard core off-roading. What do you think??

[​IMG]chevy4x4[​IMG]
    http://4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've had both and think they're overall pretty much equal. The early models do have a few advantages such as cast iron t-cases, dana 44's and 12 bolts(though they're only marginally better than 10 bolts.) You've gotta love the 69-75's best with their fully removable tops!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The 73-80 trucks are built for ruggedness, while the 81-91 trucks have more luxuries(sp?).

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The later model trucks, in my opinion, are better overall. The fuel injected engines have more power, get better mileage, and work better off-road (especially on hills and slopes). The later transmissions and transfer cases also have better overall gearing, which allows better acceleration and works better off-road. For comparison, take an '70's truck with a turbo 350 (2.5:1 1st gear) trans and 205 (1.98:1 low) case vs. an late '80's with an 700r4 (3.06:1 1st gear) and 241 (2.72:1) case. Assuming both trucks have the same 3.73 axle ratio, the overall gearing in low range of the early truck is only around 18:1 while the later truck has a ratio of 30:1.....that's a huge difference. Plus the overdrive makes highway cruising effortless.
    My vote is for the newer trucks, especially the '89-'91 K5's.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

First Generation K5/Blazer is the BEST!!!!!!69-72(I prefer the 72 all the bugs were worked out by then)
    I can't belive I missed this tread [​IMG]
    Can't beat the classic look with a full convertable top!
    Oh ya and a 104" wheel base makes for an awsome wheeler.
    AMERICAN STEEL!!! Yeeeeee Haawwwwww [​IMG]
    As you can tell I love my rig and when I die I have insrtucted my wife to take my ashes and fire up my rig with the air cleaner off and rev it up to 5000rpm and dump me in!! Then leave it parked for the rest of her days[​IMG]....................

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Most early Blazers you will find will have beat interiors, very rough, maybe lots of rust stuff like that. Its up to you to cozy it up. Stock wise, the older were a bit tougher, I'm talking pre 81. They came with the 12bolt rear vs. the 10Bolt, NP203 or 205 vs the 208 or 241, TH350 vs the 700R4 (early 700's had lots of problems, it was all fixed up in 87' though). I agree about the new Blazers, say 87-91 are better b/c of TBI, but don't be getting jealous when you see a big badass FULLconvertible 1975 Blazer pull up next you. But the decision is up to you, the correct answer to your question is ALL Blazers 69-91 are the BEST!
    Boss

7. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I like to own the 87 and newer because of the added comfort, gearing as explained earlier, and fuel injection is the best off road over a carb no matter what a carb guy says. And since mine is mostly a daily driver that I take to work and like to have the top off I like the half cap because if I get caught in the rain I don't get wet. However when I see the older ones I love those also, they look great but the newer suits me better for my needs.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have an 82 and I have to say it has been the strongest Jimmy I have seen. It has been through hell and back and keeps beggin for more!
    So my votes are for around those years.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No way, FI over a good ol carb, no way!
    Ok so you can run your FI at a more than vertical angle but by then I would think the rig is gonna roll anyway.
    That is the only thing FI has over a carb is the ability to run at almost upside down angels, and I want my engine do do this cuz......?????...I don't know.
    Now a good Ol Qjet that has a few improvements will run at extream angles before the rig will roll AND IF it has a problem a feild repair can be made and your on your way!! as for FI.......????........Cell phone mabie the best thing to have.
    I love my 4barrel and wouldn't trade it for FI even if it was free!

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I concur with emmet, I have an 83 that I drive with my foot all the way down on the gas or all the way down on the brake...and she just chuggs along over whatever. so 83's my vote

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

All K5 Blazer's KICK ASS!

Remember-
    It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

Shawn
    87 K5

12. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok Burt4x4, good post. I was always for a carb until I had FI. I loved the carbs I had but they required more attention than the FI. I bought my truck with around 100k and now have 178k and have yet to touch the TBI. No carb I had so far was that good. I realize a good Qjet can go at extreme angles but it seems only for a short period of time. Spending minutes going up or down a hill at a good angle seems to disrupt the carbs. Maybe I never had one that was in real good shape so I am not disagreeing with you, just never had the experience of a good carb I guess. My 396 Camaro has a brand new Edelbrock 750 out of the box and I also got the calibration kit to go with it and I still can't seem to get it how I want before all this. I am by no means a expert but this stuff isn't new to me either. Maybe when the FI s*^ts the bed and leaves me stranded it the pit I'll change my attitude but so far its been wonderfully reliable, requires little to no maintainence, and has great drivability. I do like carbs but just not as much since I have had FI. I did expect some harsh remarks saying what I did with the amount of people here with older non FI Blazers. Each have their good points and bad and we all have had our own good and bad experiences with both, or at least one, so I can also say what I think and can't really argue when someone gives their opinion also because they have had their own experiences. I actually expected more harshness even though thats not what I was after. By the way I checked out your Blazer and it looks like its ready for some action. I really like the rollbar design, looks really good with that body style

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

13. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....usually around here I see way more older blazers (76ish-80ish) built bigger...not many big 89-91..but when I do see those they're usually huge. a blazer is a blazer in my book, except the really old ones like burt is defending...they're a different blazer catagory. but anyway, I like my throttle body injection....it was pretty cool to still have my blazer running while upside down when I rolled it, suprising...but cool...in an odd kinda way.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree 87Blzr, well put!![​IMG]
    I have never had an off-road viehicle with FI, so I have no direct experiance with perfomance and or reliabiity with FI units. I am glad to hear that the reliability is high cuz if a fellow K5er is on the trail with a dead FI, I wouldn't know how to help him except hand him a cell phone and say "will this help"[​IMG].
    I hear ya about the tunning and tweeaking factor, Thats one thing I love about the Qjet it seams to hold it's tune for a long time once you find the right mix of air & fuel.
    Have a good one

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Any K5 is cool. I like the 89-91 most but thats what i got. I like them all though and the FI is pretty good. You can get a bunch of stuff from Turbo City for it for under $200 and make it way better.

16. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

As far as toughness, they are all about the same. You see more built older ones, because people always hack on the older stuff first, it's dollars and cents.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

17. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 K5 but I would say that the older ones are the best I thank they are built tuffer and get this the whole top comes off even with out a grinder HeHe I mean I love my 90 but I really want a 72

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

18. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Well Guys,

As you can tell by my nickname, I like the first generation the best, but if I had to make a choice from 73-91, I would say both. I would like to take the tub from a full covertible 73-75 and keep the SM465 and NP205 but swap the fuel injected 350 and sweet, sweet front clip from a 91. I think with this you could possibly have the best of both worlds!!! Well those are my two bits (Make it easy on yourself and buy a 72).

72Blazerod

19. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

20. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm, good question grasshopper. Let us review.
    Early (gen2): Bad: rust, really really bad rust; hmmm. That seems to cover it. Good: Great looks; heavier ga. steel (what's left of it); full removable top; easy to find parts; all the stuff the others said about the mechanicals.

Late: Bad: not as appealing, 1/2 top, lighter steel.
    Good: less rust, priced as "old chevy truck" rather than collectible caliber (so far).
    I personnaly prefer gen 1.
    Good luck!

You can't beat going Topless!