Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Earth moving equip. question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 30, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Anyone have any experience with those little Bobcat skid steers? I have an area in my yard that is raised about two feet higher than the rest of grade and surrounded by rail ties buried on end about 3 feet deep along with some old long dead stumps, all covered in foot deep 3" river rock. Should I expect that Bobcat to not only scrape and remove the river rock (I know it'll do that), but pull those ties and stumps? Is it strong enough to bring that dirt down to grade also?

Anyway, I know I can handle the Bobcat, just not sure about renting anything bigger.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Easily handle that, just don't flip it over! There is also a mini-backhoe (Terra-mite) you can rent here for $125.00 a day, that would work great also.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Yep skid steer wouldn't have a problem with that just might need to push and lift on the ties to get them loosened up. If you have decent area to maneuver you might look at renting alittle tractor. They usually have a bucket on the front and a grading box on the rear.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Terramite I rented to replace a sewer line!
    [​IMG]

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The bigger the rig, the more power it has. I would excavate around the ties and stumps, then push them back and forth before attempting to remove them. A chain around both arms, then cinched around the stumps-pull straight up,SLOWLY. Might be able to just push over the ties. FYI, they work great for setting T posts. One guy holding the post upright, the other guy operating the rig. Just push down with the bucket.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

What they said. A Bobcat will do that just fine, but the ties might need a little convincing. Terramites are cool too. My buddy has one.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try looking into a mini-excavator. Most have a grading blade on the front, they have the ability to lift straight up and you will be able to dig around the stumps and ties to help pull them. Only downside will be trying to move all of the rock and load it without the use of a large articulating bucket. They usually rent for about the same as a skid-steer.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That Terramite does look pretty cool!

So I get the picture on the ties, thanks for the advice guys, what about the stumps? They've been dead for at least 5 years and are probably 16" or so across, I was thinking if I could dig out one side enough to get the bucket under it and get some leverage they may come out.

I'll post up a pic if I can find it, but it's a pretty large area, plenty of room to manuever a tractor.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm not gonna load the rock, it's going in the street and free to all takers (it's probably 4-5 yards easy), but I'll look into the mini-excavator too, probably make it easier to bring the area down to grade.

10. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

I dig alive stumps out with a backhoe quite often. My trick is to dig out around th stump. Then swing the boom at it as hard as I can. It breaks loose after enough swings. But I enjoy destruction rather than digging out the entire thing.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You obviously run a company hoe........:rotfl: :rotfl:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you do that with a rental, I suggest asking them if they have insurance....

13. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

yea man thats harsh! You wont be runnin my equipment:eek1:

Dig on eack side of the stump severing roots on both sides, then grab the stup with the hoe and pull.

I would say for what you are doing you would definately need some sort of backhoe. A mini should do fine.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

CanCan the digging man has shown me the light, after talking to him last night I am going to take his advice and hire an experienced excavator and a full size machine. It'll probably take me 3 or 4 times as long to do it with no experience and a rented mini-mover, and I would probably jack up my lawn badly too.

Paul, my neighbors thank you for saving them from two days of loud cursing and throwing things.