Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

easiest computers to workwith

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What are the easiest brands of computers to work with/take apart. I want to buy a few used computers off of ebay to take apart, and maybe rebuild with a few better parts, for practice. So maybe in a year I can fully build my own computer.
    So what brands should I look for to take apart, and to add new parts?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i always assemble my own that way I get what I want specifically, not what some guy at Dell (or whatever) thinks I'll want/need. Building a custom PC also makes future upgrades much easier, because when you choose the parts (the mobo especially) you know at the time of purchase "ok, it can use a processor up to "X" Ghz... but those are spendy as hell right now, I'll get one thats ".5 X) Ghz for now and upgrade later when the "X" is cheaper." Works for me and when I upgrade, it tends to only cost me a couple of hundred bux as opposed to what a built-pc maker is gonna try and rip me off for.

j

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Socket processors, large cases

Stave, I'm sure you could do everything except maybe the thermal paste on the CPU and maybe the power sitches, and those just beacuse the connections are tiny

4. Resurrection_Joe

Hey, if I get an order for one, I'll do a step by step for you

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When did you start making your own computer? Did you know enough about them, or did you go in with your eyes closed? :)
    I want to start little, and work up to actually making my own, to my specs, computer. That way if I break something, or fry something, it's not the end of the world.

RJ, what are socket processors? What companies have large cases? I know dell's are small, I think. What about HP, IBM, compaq, gateway, sony, etc. what ones are good/bad?
    Do any computers NOT let you change the harddrive, memory, processor speed, stuff like that? Or with the right part, you can change it? :confused:

How do you get an order for one? If you do a step by step that would be awesome! I need to send you a gift.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Processors generally come in two forms, slot or socket. Socket just drops flat againt the board and is locked down with a lever. Most socket processors are ZIF (zero insertion force) so it's harder to **** it up. In fact, most parts inside a comp are pretty idiot proof, barring the pin connectors I mentioned.

Case depends on the application of the computer. Home ones will be small for the most part. Try and get a server case from a shut down company.

Don't get a tiny little horizontal pile that has no connections and everything onboard

You can change anything that isn't on board (on the motherboard, or integrated into the motherboard). The intense board stuff is the only aspect you may have trouble with.

Processor speeds (overclocking) is adjusted through bios

BTW OT - Habing a bushbotton BIOS reset ROCKS!

7. Resurrection_Joe

I'm fairly sure my boss want me to build him one

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So a computer that had a server will have a bigger case? Okay I will look for that kind.
    What is bios?
    How do I tell if the parts are connected to the motherboard or not?

So would this be a dell or simular? My friend told me they are very hard to work with.

9. Resurrection_Joe

I forgot to sya what slot processors are. They abut the motherboard at a 90* angle and suck.... ANYWAY

BIOS is the basic input output system that controls the very basic setting for the computer and gets it to boot up the higher level stuff, the main OS

When you start your comp, if you hit F1 or Del you can get into bios

If parts are integrated into the motherboard, they will all be in a small group running vertically with the case height (if it's a tower). If it's an AGP, PCI, PCIE, or other type card, it will be in one of a set of slots running parralel to the ground (again, in a tower) at the back of the case in the bottom half.

Dell's and Gateways are hard to work with if it's a small model. They also blow in the fact that they aren't very mod friendly at times, especially these days where everything is on a partition, you have no CD's and no control.

Back in the day (when 350mhz was fast) gateways were ok. Now.... eh....

10. Resurrection_Joe

Try downloading a motherboard manual and reading it, very interesting

This is the MB I used in my latest build

Download The English One

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks.
    Once I get set up with ebay I will look harder to find some computers to buy and tear apart.

Downloaded the manual, I will read it tomorrow, though.

12. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Last week I ordered all of the parts I needed to build a p.c. I sat down night before last with the Motherboard manual and followed it through and in a little over an hour I had built my first computer. I was amazed at how easy it was to do. After I got it together I just loaded my O.S. and here I am surfing CK5 on my new p.c. thats built exactly the way I want it.

I always thought working on chevy trucks was about the easiest thing in the world but now building computers has been bumped up to the top of the list.

There really is no magic to it at all.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just do it!!

There is no reason to waste time/money building old junkers. If you have ever put together a model car you can put together a computer. Parts just plug in and with xp you don't have to have any skill to load the drivers. I was really into win98 it was hard for me to go to xp. Now i'm lazy and have upgraded all my comps to xp so I let it do all the work. Get a decent mb and a P4, a sata drive or 2 , find a video card that was awesome a year ago, same with sound, get a gig of memory, a 15" flat panel monitor, some last year model of good speakers,a name brand dvd burner and a cheap cd burner. Plug it all together while you have a wire running from your body to the case plug it in and put the xp cd in the drive and wait about 20 minutes....You have built your own computer.
    My comment on last years stuff... Anything that was the s#!t a year ago is still badazz today and a hellofalot cheaper. Don't be a latest/greatest builder that spends twice as much for the latest THING that is 2% better and 50% more expensive. You dont need that 5gig processor, you dont need that 800.00 video card. The things you do normally on a computer will not benefit from the cutting edge stuff enough for you to notice. Want an extreme gaming machine or a 3d modeling supercomputer? Build it that way, you must be very specific. Want a computer to surf the web and check email and watch videos....Buy one of the Fry's 279.00 rigs that have a dvdrom/cdburner, windows xp home and a card reader and throw a stick of memory at it and you are done. You can't build it for that. The OS alone is 100.00
    As far as overclocking...It's not worth the hassle. Get a 2.6+ gig processor and enjoy. I have an old case in my garage that has a freon cooler inside it for cooling the processor for overclocking.Before I got it right I smoked 2 processors.250.00 a piece. Yes my tbird 900 was stable at 1.4 but by the time it was working properly the 1.8 was almost out for less than the 2 I smoked.
    ERR............Sorry for the long post. I'll shut up now

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know it's not the hardest thing in the world, I just want to know how everything goes together. How everything works. not just piece everything together. Then when someone asks me what parts I used, I wouldn't beable to tell them what brand I used for each part, etc
    I don't know...

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well if It had a purpose, for example, 3d modeling like you said. Then I would have to know a lot about the parts, to pick the perfect ones that go togethr good. And function properly. Right now I cant piece together a computer. I know nothing about the internals besides a few names if I am lucky. Hence why I want to learn first, before I dig into a huge project.
    Thanks

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think I might order some books off of www.amazon.com just so I know all the names of the parts, and what they do.
    Then I will go from there. I still want to rebuild an older/used computer just for experience.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Dude, read the MB manual, you'll know all the aprts and the functions

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Won't the manual vary from mother board to motherboard? Or are they basically all the same?
    The manual is huge! Somethig like 100+ pages...

19. Resurrection_Joe

Some stuff ill chnage but the basic parts are all similar

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks RJ
    I'll start tomorrow.