Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest ignition wire to find ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HOTWLS, May 7, 2002.

1. HOTWLS

HOTWLS Newbie

Hi Im a new owner of a 82 K5 Blazer & am in the process of fitting an electric radiator fan & would just like to know what the best or easiest ignition wire to hook up to is , where it is & if possible what color it is ?

THANX................HOTWLS

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Boy..I'd like to hear from some other people that have run electric fans. I have a friend running an electric fan on his car, and something like a 30A inline fuse, and he keeps blowing it. Thats a lot of load!

I was going to say tap into the spare "acc, ign" etc slots on the fuse panel inside, but I'm not sure thats wise....may end up melting it!

I personally wouldn't want to cut into any ignition wires, perhaps the junction block in the engine bay on the drivers side firewall, above the distributor might be a good place to grab it from. The wires coming up to that are pretty hefty, and I'd imagine would handle that load. I wouldn't do anything until you hear from someone exactly how you need to do it to keep from frying something.

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

The junction block is not ignition switched though. I have a e-fan sitting for my Sonoma and I definitely want it ignition switched in case the thermostat switch goes bad. Plus I like to know with decent certainty that with the key out, the fan won't come on.

4. dyeager535

Yep you are right...forgot that part...you *could* wire it in with a temp switch, which would eliminate the need for ignition switched power, but thats up to you. Personally I hate electric fans running when a vehicle is off (kinda pointless IMO unless the water pump is still turning /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) but if it meant a clean, easy, failsafe install, I might consider it. Besides, those wires have fusible links, I can't imagine the fan would draw enough to melt them, but I don't know for sure, thats why I'm hoping someone will chime in that does!

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I only mentioned thermo switched cause the Black Magic fans come with a thermo switch. My preference is to run the power to THAT switch from ignition switched power. That way, the fan is only on when the ignition is on and the temp is above the set temp.

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

If you want it to turn on and off with the ignition, why not use a relay?? Use the same type sold for auxilary lighting - $5 at big auto parts stores or maybe radio shack.

Wire it up like this:

terminal 85 = any pos.ignition wire
    " 86 = ground
    " 30 = 12v+ directly to battery post
    " 87 = pos. output to fan

By the way, I had an electric fan on another vehicle once and used a temp. switch with great results.

7. dyeager535

Yeah if you can wire in a relay or whatever to let the fan get juice only when the vehicle is on, and not draw the power from the "signal" wire, that would be most excellent /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. HOTWLS

HOTWLS Newbie

OK Thanks so far but I should probably have told you that I have it completely wired up with 2 relays (1 for fan + 1 for thermo switch ) , I have a wire going to the pos on the battery & there is one last wire that says to go to the ignition to turn the fan on & off & my question is - What is the easiest/best ignition wire to hook up to ?

9. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

probably the easiest ign wire to find in the engine compartment is the red power wire going to your distributor. if you go get a quick connect snap on wire kit and just tap that and run that to your relay, it should work. The power wire is one of two on the out most part of your distributor. One is tach and the other should be a red power wire.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Why not put a temp sensor in the radiator (doesn't actually go in the radiator, but a probe through the fins) to turn it on and off based on the temp............I have that setup and it works very well. Plus of course you can use a secondary on/off switch for water crossings, if necessary. Make sure if you have air conditioning that you run a jumper that makes the fan always on when the compressor kicks on.

11. dyeager535

I'm gonna say route it through the firewall to the fuse panel, a 12v ign switched acc. plug in. If all you need is an ign on signal, that is ideal. Its plug and play, and should not come loose or get corroded there.

Besides, if for some reason you ever had to undo your work, that would be much easier than tapping into (and possibly causing problems with) the factory lines.