Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest rear end to swap into an 87 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Jul 12, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I want to upgrade my 10bolts, but I dont want to have to change to much. What is the easiest direct replacement rearend that will be strong enough for lockers and 35's??? Also front end. Any ideas...I am new to the whole diff swaps in trucks and am not sure what is compatable with my 87.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This one's easy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the rear-
    Find a 14b full floater from a 3/4 ton 4x4, and it will bolt right in like it was meant to be there. You will need a hybrid u-joint to bolt your drive shaft to the 14b. For you, it's Napa part # 447. You'll need new u-bolts cause the 14b tube is larger. You'll also need new spring plates for those larger u-bolts.

For the front-
    It depends on how much you want to spend. Find a front D60 from a 1 ton, and that will bolt right on too. Pretty much the ultimate in stength Expect to pay $1k+ for a rebuildable one. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Or you could find a 3/4 ton D44 or 10 bolt to swap in. Usually $250-$400. Both are bolt in's also. Another option would be to just swap everything from the knuckles out on your axle for parts from a 3/4 ton with 8 lugs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

dana 44, and GM 12 bolt, be the easiest chepest swap, and you get to keep your 6 lug wheels and tires, and pretty much everything swaps between the rear 10 bolt to the 12 bolt as far as breaks, and a few things between the dana 44 and the GM front 10 bolt, but people do say that the strength gained from swaping from a 10 bolt front to a dana 44 front isnt much at all , if any, the only real reason to swap to the 44 is for aftermarket parts availibility /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, i put a 12 bolt in the back of my 87 after the gov bomb blew, yes it werks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I put a 12 bolt in place of my 10 bolt on my 87. The only difference was the ebrake cable and the yoke. I had a new yoke put on the dline but I think you can get a conversion ujoint instead.

For the brake problem, I just switched backing plates from the 10 to the 12. I think the ebrakes cable changed in the early 80's.

Good luck