Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest way to find exhaust leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Feb 6, 2001.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have had my exhastu for about 3 months now, and somewhere i have developed a leak, its gettign worse but ill be damned ifi can find it, I have new Hedman Hedders, and cherry bomb mufflers, this is in a 71. I though i had foudn it and had the shop that did the exuhuast run a bead across it but that wasant it, I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to locate it?

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Just drive in a deep water hole, with your head hanging out the door, and look for bubbles. Just kidding. Sometimes if you turn back your timing, while your sitting there looking for the leak, it will sound differnt. Also, I see that your system is new. It takes a while for the inside of the pipes to "soot up." They will get quieter with time. Hope that helps you. GOPHERKILLER

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by GOPHERKILLER on 02/06/01 07:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

if its cold there like it is here in the mornings then jsut go uut early and start it up, get under the car and look for exhaust seeping out of a hole, thats how i found mine. We all know how you can really see the fumes when you first start it up in the morning.
    Big jake

Its gonna be a WILD ride!

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Have it running and do a walk around, and stick your head under the front fenders. All of my leaks have come from the headers...

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure its coming from the hedders, I have a sneaking hunch that the header has rubbed against the x-member and wore a hole in the tube, cause being as I have a bigblock the hedder was VERY close to the x-member, what would be the easiest way to remedy, take a hunk out of the crossmember?

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Get a 3 to 4 foot piece of rubber hose. Put one end to your ear and move the other end along the exhaust system like a probe. You should be able to hear where the leak is coming from.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the leak is in aluminized pipe, you can sometimes find a little soot near the hole after a while (especially if your ignition system needs work or your carb needs tuning [​IMG])

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

8. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

The best way I have found is to use a shop vac with a outlet connection. Take the hose and put it on the outlet then stick it in your tail pipe, use rags if pipe is bigger, then tape the hose to the pipe to make a seal. Turn on the shop vac and use a spray bottle of soapy water to find the leak.

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check right where the headers mount to the heads.........mine keep coming loose [​IMG], have to tighten them up every few weeks.

Where in WA are ya............?

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>