Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Easiest way to get bushings out of springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Jun 30, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I figure I better find out what the easiest way is to get those 18 year old, nicely rusted in, bushings out of my rear springs. I'm gonna be doing a shackle flip and 3/4 ton swap this August, and I need to know this soon, cuz I'm seriously considering just buying new springs if it's that bad. I'm gonna be getting new shackles cuz they're only $20 a peice, and all my new bushings are gonna be ORD greaseables.

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't need to get the bushings out if you are doing a flip. The only reason I see to remove them is if you are going to try and reuse them on your new springs. Trust me buy the new bushings if you are going to buy the springs. If you just want the insert out and not the rubber then the best way is to heat them with a torch and burn them out. Try heating (burning) the rubber and knock the insert out with a punch and sledge. If your flipping the rear I would get new bushings and keep the factory springs (I have the same 3/4 flipped setup on my K5 now)

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Some people burn the rubber out. I had pretty good luck using a drill. I found a bit that fit easily between the spring eye and the sleeve and drilled a few holes through the rubber, then I pounded the remains out with a BFH. Took about 10 minutes for one spring.

Rene

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

what Rene' said and hurry back w/ your RANT post about what a PITA it was so we can all have a good chuckle.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Try to have patience....

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Got mad and burned them out. Broke a few bits with the drill method, but I had no patience either. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ...this is after spending all afternoon getting that #&$%#&^$&#$*@@ pitman arm off. I think that I would have made out if I had been a little more careful with the 18 volt "yellow gun"

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I second what Rene said, use a small drill bit and drill a bunch of holes. You would be amazed at what a better ride you will have with bushings that really work. Might be worth tring first before you dump the springs. Oh , and use a carbide (grit type, not teeth type) sawsall blade to just cut the bolts between the spring eye and the mounting bracket. It will save a lot of pain and knuckles.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah the teeth type sure doesn't work worth a [censored]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and use a carbide (grit type, not teeth type)

[/ QUOTE ] OH, sure now w/ that info.... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I used a big press, and they just popped right out. Good luck

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

easiest way: torch 'em out.

easy way non-torch owners use: use a drill with a bit small enuff to fit between the spring and the metal sleeve inside the bushing... drill holes all the way around the bushing... from both sides. Then use a hammer and big screwdriver + needlenose pliers to pry/pull/pount out the rubber chunks. Presto... no more rubber bushings. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Think I have pics of this on my webshots..

J

11. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

torch and patience

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Drill bit method: Good way to ruin bits and use every swear word in your vocabulary, only to have them still in the eyes, laughing at you...ask me how I know. Not recommended...

Torch method: I am not keen on heating up my spring eyes like that, irrespective of whether or not damage will occur to them. Aside from the fact it's messy...

The best way I have found that works perfectly, short of a press, is to use a 1 1/8" socket, a 5# hammer and some WD40. Use the WD for removal and install, as it is light enough to dissapate rapidly. The socket is just the right size to fit into the eye to force the bushing out without getting lodged. Worked great for me doing it this way.

Good luck!

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hydraulic press. No noxious fumes (torch), and quicker than drilling several small holes over and over again. If you do it right you can even get the metal collar out in one shot and don't need to cut/chisel it out as with the other two methods (sometimes you still have to cut/chisel them out with the press method, but sometimes you get lucky and don't have to).

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

How did you get the rear upper bushing out when going to a ORD shackle and bushing kit in the front? Can't prop the frame up in a press.

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Use an air chisel and cut the sleeve at the area where the spring is rolled to have the end meet the main spring. In other words, the little "crack" at the eyelet.

Just cut into that sleeve by using that little "crack" as a guide and once you cut thru, take a hammer and chisel to tap the sleeve out, easily. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about the frame mount bushing at the back of the front springs. The top of the front shackle.

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh, those. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

There are no bushings in those shackle holes. They are just rubber bushings pressed into the hole with steel sleeve in them.

I have a bare frame sitting outside the garage right now. I also have some brand new rubber shackle bushings from GM in the garage, too. Just spare leftover bushings.

None of the bushings came with a sleeve and NOT ONE truck I have ever dismantled in my 16 years of fooling around with trucks, have I EVER seen any sleeves in the upper shackle holes before the bushing goes in. Not one sleeve. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OH, sure now w/ that info....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Burn up a dozen metal cutting blades at $4.00 a peice then try one, you will see and be out $48.00 /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How did you get the rear upper bushing out when going to a ORD shackle and bushing kit in the front? Can't prop the frame up in a press.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it made so sense to try to put the frame in the press when I had a ball joint PRESS that worked just as well. One reciever tube was just the right size and I was able to finagle it over the frame. *** Note some types/sizes of ball joint presses will not work as I tried this with a buddy of mine with a different size press (the "C" portion wasn't large enough to keep from hitting the frame). In that case we used an air chisel and only took us a minute or two longer (same chisel we used for removing any metal collars that didn't want to come out).

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and use a carbide (grit type, not teeth type)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH, sure now w/ that info....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif